Internet Security

Benincanada 14:48 12 Sep 06

Hello, I am about to connect my new and expensive laptop to the internet with the following precautions (list follows) and I was wondering whether I need/should do anything else to make sure my computer won't get hacked/virus etc

1. Zone Alarm - free edition
2. AVG Anti-Virus (free edition)
3. Install Windows Defender
4. Update OS with relevant Windows updates

Any advice would be appreciated

Also, is there a good practical wireless security guide I can download?

Thank you in advance for your help

Benjamin

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:52 12 Sep 06

You have more than enough just use a little common sense.

click here is a good site for security.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:53 12 Sep 06

click here and download Ccleaner. Delete all it finds.

G

Belatucadrus 15:10 12 Sep 06

While some would chose other options, I agree with GANDALF <|:-)> that you've selected well. I would however suggest two additions SpywareBlaster click here a passive blocking tool that prevents a lot of Spy/Adware ever latching on to your system, without using system resources and the Firefox browser click here , not security software as such, but less susceptible to spyware than IE6.

Benincanada 11:43 14 Sep 06

OK,I loaded all the software that was listed below(thanks for the advice) and connected by laptop to the internet.

I have only been on for 15 mins and I have had about 10 attempts by other ip addresses (ex. 80.225.180.242 port 3256) to access by computer - is that normal?

I have only visited microsoft update

I am running

AVG
Zone Alarm
Spyware Balster

Any advice would be appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:08 14 Sep 06

I have only been on for 15 mins and I have had about 10 attempts by other ip addresses (ex. 80.225.180.242 port 3256) to access by computer - is that normal?

Yes its the ISP servers handshakes to your PC, just switch of the alerts in Zone alarm and enjoy your surfing

ZA + Defender + AVG + spywareblaster is an excellent coverage.
Couple with CCleaner to delete temporay files and Adaware as a backup scanner for spyware and you can't go wrong.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:11 14 Sep 06

Wireless security have a read click here

Benincanada 12:17 14 Sep 06

Cool - thanks guys. I will turn off the alerts function

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…