Internet Router Password

peterleemaxwell 19:14 08 Jul 07

My PC connects to the internet via cable i also run a desktop up stairs wireless through a belkin usb adaptor.Now another member of the family has just got his own desktop PC in another room and purchased another wireless belkin adaptor,and is now asking for a password that i put on a few years ago. My memory unfortunately can not recall the password. Apart from hypnosis is there any way i can find out the router password? Thanks

VoG II 19:18 08 Jul 07

You should find a 'pin-hole' reset button on the router. This will clear the password, WEP encryption and so on.

peterleemaxwell 19:27 08 Jul 07

Hi VoG™,
I really didn't want to reset as everything else is stable. Just want the extra PC to join up with the existing set-up. Thanks for the advice.

Technotiger 19:33 08 Jul 07

click here

Download and run SIW, then click on Secrets in the left-hand column. This will reveal all your Passwords.

Technotiger 19:35 08 Jul 07

PS - SIW is a very handy tool to have in any case - tells you just about everything about your PC, with one exception - it will not tell you the Power rating of your PSU.

peterleemaxwell 19:51 08 Jul 07

Thanks Technotiger, looks an extremely useful programme.

Technotiger 19:53 08 Jul 07

Yes it is - did you find what you were looking for?

cream. 20:00 08 Jul 07

I think what you want is the wep key so the new belkin adapter can connect to the network.

Put 192.168.2.1 into the address bar of internet explorer. Click on submit and see if you can enter the settings. If it asks for a password you are up a creek.

If you can get in, look under the security tab and copy the code. pass this on to the other member of the family and put a password on the routers first page.

VoG II 20:01 08 Jul 07

SIW is very good but I doubt if it will give you a router's password which I think is stored in the router itself.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:05 08 Jul 07

SIW will show you the router key ;-)...under 'secrets'.

G

Technotiger 20:08 08 Jul 07

Yes it does, as GANDALF <|:-)> says.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant