Internet Radio Transmitter.

techhelp 21:33 02 Feb 04

I recently heard on the radio a blind person saying he had an 'Internet Radio Transmitter'which appear to enabled him to listen to internet broadcasts from his computer via his FM radio anywhere in his house. Has anyone heard of such a hardware/software and can confirm if this is possible? Thanks.

jgosden 21:36 02 Feb 04

it may be possible but i very much dought that its is legal in the uk without a license,(and you won't be able to get that easily)

Valvegrid 22:26 02 Feb 04

What about a pair of wireless headphones, they work on 49MHz, you don't need a licence on that band, only trouble is you're mixed in with all the baby alarms and close to the 50MHz amateur band so you may experience some interference.

techhelp 12:25 13 Feb 04

Hello and thanks for your reply. The broadcast I mentioned was by a blind US citizen and I am assuming he resides in the USA. Are you saying it is possible in the USA to connect to your favourite internet radio station on your computer, then, by way of this particular hardware/software, have that piped through a standard radio? Did I get that right?

My reason for asking is there is such a wide choice of radio stations on the internet but you have to be at or near the monitor to enjoy it. Much better if you have the option to listen to the internet stations like a local radio I think. Thanks.

Valvegrid 16:27 13 Feb 04

In the USA their licensing conditions are different to ours here in the UK. In the USA it's feasible to broadcast with a very low power transmitter within the AM or FM broadcast bands with a range of a few hundred feet, so you can receive the transmission on a standard radio receiver. This is an extract of the regulation from the Federal Communication Commision (FCC):

PART 15 DEVICES

Unlicensed operation on the AM and FM radio broadcast bands is permitted for some extremely low powered devices covered under Part 15 of the FCC's rules. On FM frequencies, these devices are limited to an effective service range of approximately 35 to 100 feet (11 to 30 meters). See 47 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) Section 15.239. On the AM broadcast band, these devices are limited to an effective service range of approximately 200 to 250 feet (61 to 76 meters). See 47 CFR Sections 15.207, 15.209, 15.219, and 15.221. These devices must accept any interference caused by any other operation, which may further limit the effective service range. For more information on Part 15 devices, please see OET Bulletin No. 63 ("Understanding the FCC Regulations for Low-Power, Non-Licensed Transmitters"). Questions not answered by this Bulletin can be directed to the FCC's Office of Engineering and Technology, Customer Service Branch, at the Columbia, Maryland office, phone (301) - 362 - 3000.

This is the link: click here

We have no such privilege here in the UK, so don't try it, you'll have OFCOM breathing down your neck :-)

Paul.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…