Internet Problems

Phil930 23:05 08 Jan 03
  Phil930 23:05 08 Jan 03

i use a 56k with BTOpenworld on a BT Landline. up until late i have had no problems, always been a very good reliable service.

my connection speed says 49.2Kbps everytime i connect.

but the last week the internet had been really slow. pages are not loading, i get many parts of the pages not loading (just an empty box with a red cross in the corner). when i click on commands (such as posting a subject for duscussion on this site or composing an email in hotmail) it either works or does nothing!! is this a problem with my ISP??

or, could it be anything to do with Kazaa which i installed about a week ago as well. i have not got a virus from it, i have a fully up to date version of Norton AV 2003 Pro Ed.

i can't point the finger at a specific site or problem. the whole internet is just slow and unreliable now.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:13 08 Jan 03

Personally I would not touch Kazzaa with a barge-pole as your computer is fully open when using the P2P facility and you can forget firewalls or AV;-)).

However you could try re-loading IE6. Insert disc and at the prompt screen choose @custom install'. Tick everything EXCEPT media player and languages and continue to install. Reboot when installed. Your homepage may have changed to MSN or whatever and you may have to check tools-internet options-advanced to see if everything is the way you prefer.

If it is any consolation there has been a lot of sloooow traffic during the last 5 days. Mmmmmmmm, wonder why that could be. ;-))

G

Rtus 23:25 08 Jan 03

I use same Isp as you and surfings same as always reasonably fast..No problems with site except the ISP continual loss of line and hellish job getting back to surf.continual No answer errors..I hadnt got any problems ,until they announced the new limitations .Im about to contact them tomorrow to discuss this.I know its not my machines as its perfect on pay as you go dial up number. If I havent found an alternative arrangement shortly it will be Bye folks nice knowing you all...

Phil930 23:27 08 Jan 03

i'm in the dark, why!!!

as for Kazaa, i think i may get rid of it. only used it twice on my pc and both times its affected performance in someway. it just slowed everything up. although deleting it may be a problem.

but, in a weeks time i will be formatting and installing windows onto my 60gb HD rather than my 40gb one and swapping 'my documents' onto the 40gb one from the 60gb one. will i notice any gain in perfomance by having extra storage space??

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:30 08 Jan 03

No. However, you may like to delete all your temp, temp internet and cookie files as this helps with performance. A good defrag will not go amiss. These will prob. not help with the surfing though, only general performance. Extra storage space rarely affects performance unless you only have 100Mbs free on your HD

G

Phil930 00:26 09 Jan 03

what are the new limitations of BTOpenworld??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…