Internet problems

GuZ><0r 19:41 20 Oct 05

My brothers internet is not functioning properly. This is what has happened. Most of the time the internet connects but is not useable. But last night it worked, then this morning it doesn't work any more.

Could this be a problem with the computer, virus, ISP, or modem. 19:53 20 Oct 05

Do you get any error messages (including an error number)? Also check with your ISP to see if there are any problems in your area. 19:56 20 Oct 05

Also is it dial up or broadband?

Jackcoms 20:02 20 Oct 05

Elaborate on "but is not useable"

wotbus@ 20:18 20 Oct 05

Could be he has the trojan KillReg. This is designed to severely limit or cease you net connectivity. If it's XP, MS AntiSpyware when run will detect and quarantine it. Do NOT delete it but quarantine first then get hold of WinsockFix and run it. This should restore connectivity. Make sure everything is running OK before deleting it from quarantine as it would appear instant deletion creates instant havoc. Been there, done it, good luck.
PS A google search for KillReg will turn up loads on the subject.

GuZ><0r 20:33 20 Oct 05

How do use MSantispyware and where do you find it. 20:37 20 Oct 05

I believe you can obtain it as an update from microsoft, click start>all programs>windows update. However I recommend Spybot - Search and Destroy which is free and can be obtained from

click here

VoG II 20:37 20 Oct 05

First get Winsockfix - you may need it later click here

Download and scan with Antispyware click here

wotbus@ 20:44 20 Oct 05

Sorry GuZ><0r, has to dash out without giving you the links but you have all you need now if it is indeed the trojan.
I run Spybot, AdAware, my own AV stuff and ASquared regularly once a week and MS AS is set to run each morning. It was that which picked it up [it's also free and works!]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…