internet problems

mercedesjb 21:49 01 Aug 04

1. cannot search from address bar only by using search bar.
2. when you go to certain websites , as soon as you click it disappears and brings you back to desktop? This only happens with certain sites?
i am running xp with firewall engaged and norton antivirus. also if i switch off 'pop-up stopper' i get the same popup add - free ring tones every time.

GaT7 23:24 01 Aug 04

1. Open Internet Explorer (IE). Go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs (tab). Press the 'Reset Web Settings' button. Click on 'Yes' & OK yourself out. Check to see if it solves the problem.

2. I cannot understand what you mean by 'it disappears'. Do you mean IE disappears? You can try an IE repair (click here if you need to know how). Also, have you scanned with anti-spyware programs like Adaware, Spybot & CWShredder? If not I'll provide links to d'load them when you reply.

Don't switch off 'pop-up stopper'. Or, use the Google toolbar (click here) instead that has a built in pop-up stopper, or an alternative browser like (Avant click here) which you can configure to stop pop-ups.

Let's know how you get on. G

hugh-265156 01:47 02 Aug 04

you do not say what you use as you home page, is this a site of your choosing like google etc or has it suddenly changed? if so:

try running a scan for adware and spyware with both adaware and spybot click here click here. download both and install them then update them and run a scan with each one. delete anything they find. next install spywareblaster and this will stop any nasties from getting back on your computer click here keep it up to date also.

hugh-265156 01:49 02 Aug 04

ps. after running all the above and deleting anything they find then open internet explorer and click:

tools/internet options/general and type in the address of the homepage you want into the homepage/address box and click ok.

rabbitrabbit 12:19 02 Aug 04

i tried all these things. and i'm still getting the same result. when i try to load hotmail, it just closes my explorer window. same thing with a few other websites. very annoying. any more suggestions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…