Internet phone line

kiki769 16:20 19 Aug 06

I am connected to the Internet using the main socket of my telephone line. I would like to move the PC to another room but I am told that I will have problems connecting with the Internet if the socket is an extention. Is that true ?
Thanks

Forum Editor 16:23 19 Aug 06

it's totally untrue.

You don't say what kind of connection you have, but if it's a broadband service you simply need to plug an ADSL microfilter into the extension socket first.

Then you'll be able to access the internet perfectly.

rodriguez 16:26 19 Aug 06

If it's broadband internet you might because the line quality degrades with an extension. I had this problem where the ADSL broadband only connects on the socket downstairs because the upstairs line is crap. Dial up internet should be ok, as dial up works on my upstairs socket. But if you make sure the extension is made with good quality cable and is fitted secure then you should be alright.

DieSse 17:57 19 Aug 06

Good quality cable is the key - some extension telephone leads are pretty dire.

I used to run very long extension leads for people without any problems. Remember you could be many hundreds or thousands of yards from the exchange - a few more won't make any difference.

palinka 14:54 20 Aug 06

I suppose the reason for the myth about problems caused by using an extension is that there is more scope for problems (eg I don't think it would help your connection to lay the cable under the carpet and have hundreds of people walk across it everyday). Mine have always been connected via an extension - many yards long in some cases; over doors, round 3 walls of the room, etc,etc. And the main socket of my phone from which I run the extension, is in itself an extension - because BT installed it near the front door and i have my phone in the dining room. All this has caused no problems using the internet on a PC in yet another room.

Stuartli 16:34 20 Aug 06

Or you could run an ADSL lead of suitable length from the Master Socket to your new locations.

I use a 10m ADSL lead direct from the Master Socket under the hall and room carpet to my system in the front room - some sections of the lead are enclosed in the carpet "grippers" so it isn't noticeable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…