internet over ethernet ?

jonnytub 18:30 26 Nov 03

hi guys, I eventually got bradband and im chuffed to bits with it over dial-up. I use a usb Scientific Atlanta dpx100 cable modem (webstar) connected to my desktop and is provided by telewest broadband. The modem has an ethernet port on the back. I was wondering if i plugged an ethernet cable into the back of the modem and connected my laptop to the other end, would i be able to enjoy the internet on the laptop as well as the desktop. I know this is usually done with a router or wireless network, but can the laptop be configured to connect to the internet through the ethernet cable plugged directly into the modem. ?
Any suggestions as to an easier and cheaper way are appreciated.
P.s. I know i can plug the laptop through the ethernet port on the back of my pc, but this means having the desktop on and firewall disabled, for the laptop to have access. (or i could just configure zonealarm to allow access, but this still means having the desktop swithed on. Any ideas ???????????

jonnytub 18:47 26 Nov 03

hello forum editor, i know your a bit worldly wise when it comes to networks and stuff, any clues? also just a prod incase anyone forgot me :) i have the faith

A_World_Maker 18:54 26 Nov 03

From this website click here I gleaned this information Ethernet Devices
An Ethernet device must be installed in your computer to enable it to be connected to the cable modem and the Adelphia Power Link network. Common Ethernet devices include Network Interface Cards (NIC) for Ethernet connections and USB Ethernet adapters for desktop computers. PCMIA cards are available for laptop computer connections. Each device provides a full-time, dedicated connection to the Adelphia network. These devices are generally available from reputable retail stores and generally cost between $25 and $80. Adelphia will provide an Ethernet device with a professional installation for an additional charge.

There is also a thread here click here

Some interesting threads here click here

Wobby 18:57 26 Nov 03

Are you plugging the Scientific Atlanta dpx100 to your computer on a USB connection?

jonnytub 18:57 26 Nov 03

I'll give em' all a go and let you know how i get on

jonnytub 18:58 26 Nov 03

yes

canard 19:00 26 Nov 03

On NTL BB and when I asked about using ehernet AND USB on diff PCs they said no but they have a page about networking PCs on one modem and it might help you to refer to it.

jonnytub 19:01 26 Nov 03

I'll give it a go, thanks canard

A_World_Maker 19:34 26 Nov 03

followed your link from the other thread.... I am hesitant to say that if you do indeed connect your PC using the USB plug.. that you could (maybe) try plugging in the laptop via the ethernet cable. My hesitation would be loading.... or more like overloading the interface of the modem. The information I read, and the threads from other forums, suggested that is could be done.... warranty could be void. A router maybe you best bet, but this again, would have to be left plugged in to service both computers.

A_World_Maker 19:51 26 Nov 03

I am curious why you would have to switch off your firewall to allow the laptop to connect to the internet? If you set the PC as a gateway computer, and the laptop as being a client of a gateway computer, that will install ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) protocols and allow to share one connection. ZoneAlarm free edition isnt capable of supporting networks.. you will have to upgrade to the Pro edition (I have that installed and its worth it), asign the PC's ZoneAlarm as a Gateway, and the Laptop as a Client and it will automatically map the network and allow access. You will need to link the PC and the Laptop using a rj45 crossover cat cable to make this type of network work.

jonnytub 00:16 28 Nov 03

hi all, sorry i haven't responded sooner, i had to dash out. a world maker, i had zone alarm free edition and followed your advice and decided that the pro version would make things a little easier. After buying and installing things still weren't going to plan until i rang telewest who were very helpful. They told me to ping the modems in cmd. I found that the adapter i was using had and very rarely a generic mac address which had already been registered by someone else, the only solution to the problem was to download smac 1.1 which is a mac address spoofer program. The program along with a few tweaks suggested by you guys has sorted the problem.

once again, to the pc advisor forum members, many thanks and my regards.

John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…