Internet OK but no e-mails!!!

I have an Acer 1800 laptop, my o/s is Windows XP and I am connected to the Internet through Orange and use Outlook Express for e-mails.
I notice in one of the postings that Orange is often susceptible to crashes, but thought this would affect the whole Internet system.
Today I cannot get any e-mails delivered and eventually get a message saying that my POP3 has not responded and do I wish to try again, which I have tried without any success.
I have no problem with accessing web sites, so don't know if the problem is with Orange or my machine.
An additional problem now , of course, is that until the e-mails return, I must keep checking the PCAdvisor web site, to see if there are any replies!!!
Hope you can help

LAP 06:30 02 Sep 10

You don't say how long this has been going on.

You say 'I notice in one of the postings that Orange is often susceptible to crashes, but thought this would affect the whole Internet system.'

This is not the case. I am with Virginmedia. The other day internet working perfectly, but no emails. Constant error messags. Checked with Virgin who told me 'email service down'

The following day email service resumed.

johndrew 10:20 02 Sep 10

Don`t suppose it's anything to do with this click here is it?

Failing that is your e-mail client set correctly? click here.

There are also other help pages and an e-mail contact for help if you really are stumped click here

Thanks for your suggestions.
I decided to try the Orange help line and, amazingly, got through without any problems or delay!!
The member of staff patiently went through procedures with me, the important one appearing to be to change from Wanadoo to Orangehome, which I see is mentioned in the attachments sent by 'johndrew'.
I can now access my e-mails (slowly!) via Orange Mail and was told that the problem lies with a fault in Outlook Express, which I will have to take up with Microsoft!!
Are there any, quicker, systems I could use?
As I can now get to my e-mails, I will show this query as 'Resolved'. Thanks again.

wee eddie 15:38 02 Sep 10

I have had problems with Outlook just lately, which appear to cure themselves after a while.

BT, my ISP, say that the problem lies with Outlook, but I'm not so sure as they've been fiddling around with the bt/yahoo interface just lately.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…