Internet Monitor

Mananin 23:39 17 Dec 03

This query will only be of interest to those, like me, who are PAYG clients.
Whilst considering the contents of, and a response to, an email I suddenly realise that I am still on-line when I could have been off-line thus incurring more cost than necessary.
I know there is an internet icon (double monitor) down in the Task Bar but it is insignificant, its green colour is “lost” amongst the other icons, and I KNOW that I should watch it.
Does anybody know a way to change the properties of the icon to say a larger or even a flashing red icon?
( Windows98SE: IExplorer 5)
Merry Christmas to All

Mananin

FormatKing 01:37 18 Dec 03

when you finnish a phone call you hang up
same with connecting through a modem when you are finished simply disconnect else suffer large phon e bills

Djohn 02:07 18 Dec 03

Not sure about changing the colour Mananin, but you can open IE. go to tools/options/connections tab and place a tick in the box, "Hang up after sending/receiving."

Djohn 02:10 18 Dec 03

Merry Christmas to you as well. Sorry, I forgot to say that in my first reply. :o(

petersmyth1 02:28 18 Dec 03

Djohn so you only post here weekly then? :-) A Merry Xmas to you too. luv and XXXs .....Peter

Simsy 10:17 18 Dec 03

"Tick"

from click here

It is simple to set up and monitors all kinds of things.

Personally I don't use it to monitor costs, but use it to ensure my firewall and AV are running when I connect to the net.

I have also got it configured to start a very small programme, (that I made myself using VB), when disconnecting from the net. All this prog does is display a big bright yellow message on screen reminding me to check the BT 1571 service. It's appearance tells me that I am disconnected.

If you, or anyone else, would like this "1571" prog,(20kb) just email me using the envelope by my name.

Note that it is nothing clever, just a form that appears with a cancel button. I use "Tick" to start it.

Regards,

Simsy

Mananin 20:06 18 Dec 03

Thanks Simsy.
There is a lot to study. Will try when I understand it all.
Mananin

Mananin 23:32 20 Dec 03

Simsy
Thanks for the reference to "Tick".....seems to answer my question.
Mananin

Djohn 01:44 21 Dec 03

Who's petersmyth1?

I'll accept the love and kisses though! Don't get enough to throw any away! :o(

petersmyth1 02:11 22 Dec 03

Djohn I was just wondering about all the Xmas palaver a week before the day. Keep the luv and XXXs there's sod all else in the post. lmao ...Peter

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…