Internet keeps on freezing

steve1027 10:56 21 Mar 05

Hi
Having a problem with internet. I'm using XP SP2 with a tornado adsl modem. Zone Alarm Personal (Fully updated), Avast Antivirus, Microsoft Antispyware beta, Java plugin. Have updated all drivers.
I was using IE6, and found that browser would randomly freeze when loading pages- no error message, screen would just go blank and it would start to lad a page but make no progress. Opening a new window showed that, in the view menu, the "customise" option had been replaced by a "text labels" option. Customise now nowhere to be found. Internet connection still active, as I can still send / receive emails through Outlook Express. Impossible to rowse internet without restarting computer. Tried system restoring to a few days ago when it was working fine, didn't help. Undid system restore, seemed to fix problem for a while. Installed Firefox 1.01 to see if problem was restricted to IE6- Firefox does the same thing sporadically; upon freezing opening a IE6 window again shows this odd "text labels" menu anomaly.

I've run spyware and virus checks via avast, ms antispyware, spybot and adaware. All came back clean.

I'm completely baffled by this; I have no idea what's causing it or what I should try next. Does anyone have any ideas?

Cuddles 11:06 21 Mar 05

check your zone alarm settings and avast settings, i have seen an incompatability problem recently with them.

steve1027 11:13 21 Mar 05

Thanxs cuddles; any idea which settings I should be looking at, and how to tell if there is a conflict?

Cuddles 11:32 21 Mar 05

Have you got the firewall within xp activated if you have disable zonealarm. Check the program settings within zonealarm.

steve1027 11:45 21 Mar 05

xp firewall is not running. Zonealarm is set to medium on all security settings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…