Internet keeps closing down

micky3fingers 20:26 04 Nov 07

Hi,
I have a problem with my internet explorer, over the last couple of days it has started shutting itself down as soon as i open it, no error message or anything.
I could sometimes go for an hour then it will just shut down and when i open it again it just shuts within a couple of seconds again.
Could it be some type of virus? Not too hot when it comes to echnical stuff.
I have mcafee antivirus and run spypot every couple of days.
Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Mick

brundle 21:21 04 Nov 07

version 6 or 7?
If IE6; click here

If IE7; Remove and re-install. click here

Go to Windows Updates to re-install once you've rebooted.

In either case, a system file check wouldn't hurt;
click here

pac73 22:04 04 Nov 07

It could be a virus,try this scanner..click here

micky3fingers 12:39 05 Nov 07

Hi,
Ive tried to reinstall it was originally on IE7 went to 6, same problem, back to 7 same again,
I also tried the scanner from pac73 didnt seem to find any threats.

Havent been able to do the sytem file check, started it but then got insert your windows XP Pro CD-Rom, it got a bit complicated after that, i'll try and get someone to help me with that later.
I also have Firefox and it keeps closing down to, im trying to work between the two to get on line to try and resolve the problem. Would drive you nuts!!
Thanks for any further ideas.
Mick

birdface 15:46 05 Nov 07

It could be you are losing your Internet connection.Try Control panel.Network connection.Right click local area connection and press repair.See if you have any problems with that. Also try Control Panel.Administrative tools.Services.Scroll down to Dns Client and make sure it is set to Automatic.Speed test.click here just to make sure that you are getting the proper download speed from your ISP.

brundle 15:49 05 Nov 07

If both browsers are closing you need to run the SFC , do a full virus scan, anti-spyware scan click here (AVG and Spywareterminator recommended, diskcheck (start menu/all programs/accessories/command prompt, type

chkdsk c:

press return - note the space between "chkdsk" and "c:".

Simply losing your 'net connection ought to show up as "Page cannot be found" warnings rather than disappearing browser(s).

micky3fingers 18:46 07 Nov 07

Thanks for all the tips, ended up my internet wouldnt stay open long enough to even try and select the CLICK HERE'S!
But tried nearly all the tips mentioned, ended up a friend wiped my whole laptop and reinstalled windows XP for me, seems to have done the trick, a lot of hassle though.
But thanks for help.

Mick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced