Internet Hyperlinks not responding

DRiM 16:15 09 Dec 03

I am having a new problem. Everything was OK, now suddently I find that many hyperlinks on websites do not respond. The PC just seems to freeze and not respond at all, there isn't even the nice familiar clicking noise as you press the left button on the mouse.

The mouse is definitely OK, some sites (such as this one (pc advisor) its OK, some it just fails to respond.

Pesala 17:00 09 Dec 03

This solves a lot of IE problems, or try changing to Opera or Mozilla Firebird, this solves all of them. (~_~)

DRiM 22:16 09 Dec 03

Thanks for that Pesala, but what is the 'Browser cache, and what are Firebird and Opera?

VoG II 22:19 09 Dec 03

To empty the browser cache in IE, Tools/Internet options and click on Delete files.

Opera click here

Firebird click here

Or you could try:

Copy this, paste into address bar, remove the space after // and click Go.

Follow the instructions.

Pesala 23:44 09 Dec 03

It allows far more flexible customisation of the way that you use a browser click here. If you spend a lot of time on line, it is definitely worth a look.

These are some of the common problems that it can help to solve:

1. Printing web pages that are wider than a sheet of A4. Opera allows you to scale pages up or down.

2. Speed issues. By keeping visited pages in memory, or on disk, Opera allows you to flick back and forth between pages more easily. See the tabbed pages in my screenshot.

3. The problem you are having doesn't occur in Opera, though one may have other problems that you don't have in IE. No program is perfect.

4. Obtrusive advertising is often blocked by Opera's built-in popup stopper. The free version of Opera has advertising in the top banner, but that is not obtrusive and can be turned off by paying for Opera, or hidden by using full-screen mode as in my screenshot.

5. Opera can zoom in for a close look. (See my screen shot). I find fonts hard to read at normal sizes in IE. Some webpages cannot be enlarged even by using the largest font size as they use fixed pixels sized fonts. Opera can zoom in to enlarge the print and graphics on such web sites too as it scales the entire page equally, not just the text.

6. Email is built-in to Opera, so one doesn't need Outlook Express. Opera's email-client has some powerful database-like sorting features.

Mozilla Firebird also has many devoted users, but I have never used it. I have Internet Explorer installed, but only use it if I have no choice. It is painfully slow.

plsndrs3 23:51 09 Dec 03

Are these compatible with AOL, as I know that this ISP tends to be tempermental?

Pesala 09:00 10 Dec 03

From click here

"I use dial-up on aol, and i can be idle for several hours without the connection being dropped. i have several times fallen asleep with the computer still online and found it still connected when i woke up even though no files were being transferred. i've used almost every variation of Opera through the 5, 6, and 7 series of betas, finals, and .ox updates, so it isn't likely the browser that's causing your problem."

DRiM 10:42 10 Dec 03

Thanks very much for all these words of wisdom. I am a complete novice with PCs and the thought of putting a different browser on my machine scares me, especially if there are such diverse opinions.

I feel the problem is just on my one desktop, as it was perfectly ok and just started playing up. Also, my laptop (also with XP) doesn't have a problem, nor does my old Desktop with 98SE on it.

I think I will just have to put up with it or do a HD format and reinstall everything.

nyleridedog 10:50 10 Dec 03

Ensure that no programs are open
Click on START
Select RUN

In the Run box type regsvr32 urlmon.dll
You may also want to try the following:

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll

DRiM 12:13 10 Dec 03

OK Thanks, I'll try those.

I am assuming there is a problem with Internet Explorer and imagined I could find a simple way to repair it. Like re-installing it.

DRiM 12:40 12 Dec 03

I did as you suggested and got a response saying that each one succeeded, so I assume there is nothing wrong there.

I notice also that If I click on 'START' then on 'SEARCH' the system hangs up for about a minute and then goes back to where it was without allowing me to search for a file or folder.

All very weird. I suspect my whole XP needs reinstalling.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…