internet goes off when I remove device.

ss6c 20:37 23 Aug 06

Windows XP sp2. Broadband with USB modem. When I click on the safely remove hardware icon even if I don't have a device such as an MP3 player connected, the internet is disconnected. This is just clicking on the icon, not clicking on any of the devices/drives that are listed on the safely remove menu.
Anybody got any ideas?

VoG II 20:40 23 Aug 06

Don't click on the safely remove hardware icon unless you want to remove hardware?

al224 20:41 23 Aug 06

if u click safely remove hardware even without comfirming it windows automatically stops all items in the safely remove hardware dialog.

if the modem is usb then windows is just stopping it when you click safely remove hardware.

ss6c 20:58 23 Aug 06

Thanks for responding.
It does surprise me that windows stops everything as soon as the Icon is clicked rather than when clicking on a particular piece of hardware. Of course Vog, I would only usually click on it if I wanted to remove an MP3 player or something. But this means i need to ensure that i am not in the middle of downloading something when I remove it. I also seem to remember it wasn't always like this, but I may be wrong.

Jackcoms 21:03 23 Aug 06

"if u click safely remove hardware even without comfirming it windows automatically stops all items in the safely remove hardware dialog."

Not true.

I just clicked 'safely remove hardware' and all of the items continued working as normal

Coff 21:31 23 Aug 06

If you single left click the Safely Remove Hardware icon it will disconnect your modem. If you double left click the icon it will bring up the Hardware Devices window and you should be able to select the device to remove. This method shouldn't disconnect your modem. Similarly, if you right click the icon and click on Safely Remove Hardware, it will bring up the Hardware Devices window.

You can make your own shortcut to Safely Remove Hardware and when you click on this it will always bring up the Hardware Devices window without disconnecting your modem. You might want to do this to save you inadvertently single clicking the system tray icon (old habits die hard). The path for the shortcut is :

%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll

ss6c 22:16 23 Aug 06

Thanks. That clears up my problem.

Cheers Geoff.

woodchip 22:47 23 Aug 06

You should right click the icon and choose the item to stop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…