Internet Gateway

chrisjmat 15:01 12 Nov 09

Hi,
I have had to install a new motherboard and CPU in my PC. I am using a Linksys modem and router for my internet. Along with the LAN and highspeed connection icon in network connections I also see a Internet gateway connection on the top. Both show they are connected. Is this normal for a router connection to show both or have I somehow been hacked and somebody has access to my PC?. I have ran Macafee scan and found no viruses. The icon also appears on my laptop when I connect wirelessly. M y PC is connected by ethernet.
help and advise would be appreciated.
Thx

ambra4 09:40 13 Nov 09

“Along with the LAN and high speed connection icon in network connections I also see a Internet gateway connection on the top”

Not to sure I understand what you are trying to say

What OS

In XP there should only be a “Local Area Connection Icon” and a “Wireless Network

Connection” if you have a wireless card or adapter installed plus two wizards “New Connection”

and “Network Set-up Wizard”

Not to sure what is an “Internet Gateway” right click – Properties should tell you what type of

connection

chrisjmat 16:10 13 Nov 09

Hi I am using XP home edition. The icon internet gateway appears above the lan and high speed connection icon. I think this appears because I have a router attached to my modem and that is the signal that it is working and providing a signal for other pc's to be connected to the system wirelessly?
Confirmation would be appreciated?

ambra4 17:20 13 Nov 09

“The icon Internet gateway appears above the Lan and high-speed connection icon”

Ok you have a broadband modem “cable or via the phone line” is there a Ethernet port and a

USB port on the modem

Are you using both the Ethernet and USB ports at the same time?

Connected to the modem via a RJ45 Ethernet cable is a wireless router “Make and Model #”

All computers are connected to the router either by an Ethernet hard wire cable or via the

Wireless network is that correct

chrisjmat 18:14 13 Nov 09

Hi
thxs for this

I am using a Linksys modem and their router WRT54G V5. The modem is only connected to the PC by ethernet cable. iT IS A PHONELINE CONNECTION.
HOPE THAT HELPS
THXS

ambra4 01:21 14 Nov 09

“The modem is only connected to the PC by Ethernet cable”

The correct way to connect a wireless router to a broadband modem is as follows: -

The Ethernet cable from the modem goes to the wan port on the router

Using a second Ethernet cable from Lan Port1 on the router goes to the Lan port on the PC

Power On the router and wait 1-2 min’s until it synch with your broadband modem that is

connected to your ISP broadband service

Open your web browser and enter the router access code (192.168.1.1) in the URL address bar

Once you have accessed the router set up page you need to set the following

Connection Type = PPPoA

Encapsulation Method: VCMUX

VPI: 0

VCI: 38

Authentication: Auto

Keep Alive: On

User Idle Timeout: 4320

NAT: On

QoS: On

User Name & Password that you presently use to access your ISP service

Save or Apply router will reboot once completed check that you can access the Internet

If the Lan card icon is showing in the task bar - Right click – Status - Support

What you should see is the following:

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP

IP Address 192.186.1.XXX which is the Computer IP Address

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168. 1 1 which is the router IP Address and the access to the modem

If you click the Detail button you will see a lot more information the WINS Server is always
blank

You should now be able to browse the Internet

ambra4 01:22 14 Nov 09

If all is working and you have Internet access you can now set up the router wireless network

By entering the router access code and clicking on the wireless section

Make sure that the wireless is Enable

If you not going to use the wireless Disable it

You now have to set-up the Wireless Network Name the SSID address on the router first

By default some wireless router come set-up with the manufacture name as the SSID address

3Com, Linksys, Belkin etc

You should change the SSID address to a name you want to give your Wireless Network,

452john06 / ezyclip01 etc which would allow you to easily identify your network

You should also change the Wireless Channel # the default is normally Channel 11 which most

persons uses so change it to 6 / 8 this will save you having interferences and low signal quality

from other network close by using channel 11

Write it down; or save on a flash drive as the same SSID name and Channel # and Security Code

must be used on All wireless device when setting then up to access your wireless system

You do not have to set-up the security system as yet

Save the setting and log out of router, make sure that you can access the router vie the wireless

device and browse the Internet

If you get it wrong the router will not allow the wireless device to connect to the wireless system

or allow access to the Internet

Once you have access to the Internet via the wireless network you can than set up the security

system

ambra4 01:23 14 Nov 09

Check out these sites before you set-up the wireless system could save you a lot of time and

headache.

click here

Setting Up The Wireless Security System

Check out these sites before you set-up the Wireless Security System

click here

click here

click here

Question said by first time user of ADSL Wireless Broadband

The PC hard wire to the router does not have to be on for the wireless system to work

Once the router is on all wireless devices should have local and Internet access

With a hard wire system the LAN card connect speed at 100Mbps, the wireless system connect

speed at 0Mbps -54Mbps depending on the distance, amount and thickness of walls, quality of

signal etc

You cannot see the wireless system from a hard wire PC only the “Local Area Network

Connection”

Using a wireless connected PC for router set-up is Not recommended use only an hard wire

connection

You should not have both the Lan and Wireless on the same PC connect at the same time.

As this can causes conflict within the router

The normal connect speed on a laptop build in wireless card or USB adapter is 54Mbps on older

laptops with build in wireless cards the connect speed is 11Mbps

Using a build in normal wireless card or adapter to connect to a 108Mbps, 125Mbps, 300Mbps,

wireless router will still only connect at 54Mbps

You must buy a separate108Mbps, 125Mbps, 300Mbps, USB adapter or PCI card for each

wireless device you want to connect at that speed.

chrisjmat 15:50 16 Nov 09

many thxs for your detailed answer. I will do this over the next couple of days and remove the internet gateway by going into add/remove windows components.

chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now