//some 3rd party need geo

Internet games

Raquelmanny 21:53 16 Oct 03

My son wants to play a game that has access to an online game. The only way I can get it to connect is by disconnecting the firewall. Is this advisable? And what problems will this cause by not having the firewall on? I also have zone alarm and norton internet security. Will these be enough to safe guard my PC? Any advice greatly welcome. Thanks.

Jester2K II 21:58 16 Oct 03

Leave the firewall on and just allow the program permission to access the net!?

Jester2K II 21:58 16 Oct 03

Also are you saying you have two firewalls? Disable one if so.

Tim1964 21:58 16 Oct 03

What is the name of the game and site.

It does seem odd that it requires a firewall to be shutdown !

Can't think of any I've visited that has needed that.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 21:59 16 Oct 03

Try setting the firewall to medium should be enough to get you online.You could add the games .exe file to ZA and give it permission to connect,or just wait till it asks.

Raquelmanny 00:27 17 Oct 03

The game is Command and Conquer. I have the firewall that is assessed by the dial up connection and also a firewall on the zonealarm.

soy 00:38 17 Oct 03

You don't need 2 Firewalls running. Turn off Windows Firewall as ZOnealarm is good by itself.

To do this,

START> CONNECT TO> SHOW ALL CONNECTIONS> Right Click your dial-up connection and select Properties> ADVANCED tab> Untick the firewall checkbox.

When you first loaded the game onto multiplayer, it would have tried to access the internet. ZOnealarm should have popped up asking if you want it to permit it. Did you ever see this pop up from Zonealarm?

I don't use Zonealarm, but you should be able to see its pre-configured access and permissions list. Try looking at this list and see if you can find 'Command & Conquer' or 'EA games'.

Raquelmanny 14:29 18 Oct 03

Thanks got it all sorted now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…