Internet Firewall - Error 624

Gizmocat 05:57 24 Jun 06

I have recently uninstalled NIS 2005 due to conflict problems with MSN Messenger.

Since then I have been unable to apply the firewall through Internet Options and also System Restore is switching itself off everytime computer is booted.

When I try to enable firewall I get the following msg - Error 624 system could not update the phonebook file. The tick stays in the box, but next time on reboot it switches off again.

It might be worth mentioning that I am still on SP1 as when I tried to install SP2 from a disc last year I had terrible problems and decided to abort and was worried about losing whole operating system. I know I should upgrade to SP2 asap, given the msg about auto updates not being available after October -particularly as I have no antivirus loaded at present. I have got an AVG disc, but am worried this might cause conflict issues with MSN Messenger.

ICF 07:34 24 Jun 06

Start,Help and support,enter in the search box "network error messages" Then click on error 624.

iscanut2 11:45 24 Jun 06

If it's any consolation, I have always used AVG Anti Virus & Firewall as well as MSN Messenger, ( now Windows Live Messenger ver 8.0 ) without any problems.

SANTOS7 15:21 24 Jun 06

To resolve this issue, first locate the Rasphone.pbk file and make sure that the read-only file property in the Properties dialog box is not selected. If it is not selected, the file may be damaged and you must rename the Pbk folder to Pbk.old. The Pbk folder is located in the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Connections" folder. If you cannot see the Pbk folder, make sure that you can see hidden files and folders. To do so, follow these steps:

Click Start , click My Computer, and then click Folder Options on theTools menu.
2.Click the View tab.
3.Click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.

Gizmocat 17:36 25 Jun 06

Thanks for the info all

Santos7 - I did locate the Pbk folder under properties and the read only box was not selected. Does that mean I now have to rename the Pbk folder to Pbk.old and if so how do I do this.

ICF - I followed your suggestion but when I clicked on the description I didnt understand what corrective steps I needed to take? Being a novice I was under the impression that I should never mess with System 32?

Bogbrain 19:05 25 Jun 06

You deserve to shot for this. You not only compromise your own pc but other peoples as well.

'particularly as I have no antivirus loaded at present'
Even as an 'absolute beginner' there's no excuse not to have at least basic security, such as a free anti virus programme loaded.
It's like wondering why your house got burgled when you go out and leave the door open but have the key in your pocket.

Bogbrain 19:06 25 Jun 06

Of course, this should have read -
You deserve to be shot for this.

Gizmocat 05:55 27 Jun 06

Yes - I am well aware of the problems for myself but didnt realise I was compromising other peoples computers. Very naive I know.

I've had a computer for over 10 yrs and this is the only time(a couple of weeks) that I have not had AV installed.

If you have been lucky enough not to suffer any problems with NIS or are a computer expert who can solve any problems you come across I genuinly envy you. As I said, I do have AVG to load but due to all the problems I have recently had, and my daughters 24/7 need for MSN, I have been reluctant to load it for fear of conflicts with MSN.

Gizmocat 05:57 27 Jun 06

By the way - are you able to answer the question I put to Santos about the Pbk folder.

That would be helpful.

SANTOS7 09:36 27 Jun 06

When you have located the folder as far as i know all you need to do is right click the folder and in the drop down menu there is an option to rename.
AVG is a prog that does not seem to conflict with ant thing my kids have MSN bits all over their respective logins and it all runs well....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…