Internet Explorer woes - poser.

Nicky136 18:18 26 Oct 07

I have recently changed isp from UKonline to BT.
Initially, I thought my problems connecting were due to the connection and spent hours on the phone to T/S. Eventually the last guy I spoke to suggested uninstalling and reinstalling IE7. This seems to have improved matters but not fixed things completely.
The problem is some web pages do not want to open, some will open after I refresh, maybe once, twice and so on, some will open after I reload and some won’t open at all.
Sometimes they open in a sort of stripped down format with graphics missing and all the text in Times New Roman.
Some sites refuse to load no matter what I do, for example, one of the dvd sites I visit, hdanddvdbargains.com, loads some of the home page then just sits there, maybe after ten minutes it might load enough to make the links to the various parts of it visible, so I click on the tab for the forums, then off we go again waiting for the “dvd bargains” link and so on.
I never actually get to the threads.
Another part of the problem is my Hotmail account. This I access through Outlook Express. I have terrible problems downloading messages. Or doing anything with the Hotmail messages through OE.
Only since changing isp.
I have changed the server name.
When I was trying to sort this out originally and thought the connection was at fault, I tried the connection icon in the sys tray, right click and “repair connection. This gets as far as “cannot clear dns cache – for assistance see person who manages your network”.
Someone suggested my problem may be choked up DND cache and explained how to clear it from a command prompt. When I try this it starts but then stops and tells me I do not have administrator rights.
I am just “user” on this machine but with administrator rights.
I tried altering start up to show logon screen and attempting to log in as administrator with a blank password but it wasn’t having any.

My wife’s laptop with a wireless link does not display these problems. However, if the computer if left inactive for five minutes, it loses the connection and the only way I have been able to start it is to right click on the connection icon in the sys tray, right click and “repair connection".

Sorry it’s a mammoth post and if you’re still here,
Thanks Very Much!
Any suggestions most gratefully received.
Nick

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:55 26 Oct 07

Boot into safe mode and
Click Start > Run.
typeipconfig /flushdns
in the Open: textbox.
Press ok.

Reboot to normal mode and retry your connection.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:55 26 Oct 07

Boot into safe mode and
Click Start > Run.
type
ipconfig /flushdns
in the Open: textbox.
Press ok.

Reboot to normal mode and retry your connection.

Nicky136 07:56 27 Oct 07

Many thanks Fruit Bat.
Tried this and it hasn't made any difference, if anything, this morning it is worse than ever.
This is so frustrating - 8meg connection and I'm playing Freecell waiting(hoping!) for pages to load!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video