Internet Explorer will not work - help please

Never again 09:57 09 Dec 08

Hi

I am running a windows xp laptop and normally browse using internet explorer, but also use firefox for moderating a recycling group.

I decided to try the version 8 beta but was not really getting along with it and so tried to remove it, which is where my problems started.

I reinstalled IE7 twice but that did not work, and I have tried a succession of restore points but still no joy.

I cant even get IE to start now - all I get is a window try to open and then close immediately.

I can still browse with firefox but would like IE back.

Your help would be much appreciated.

wis 10:10 09 Dec 08

have a look in device manager any yellow nasties

Pineman100 10:16 09 Dec 08

You might need to reset Internet Explorer back to its original factory settings.

Click Tools>Internet Options. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.

In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialogue box, click Reset.

When IE finishes restoring, close it. The changes will apply next time you open IE.

Do be aware that this reset will delete all of your personalisations in IE - favourites, cookies, temporary files, etc. For a full list, type "Reset Internet Exporer" into IE Help.

Pineman100 10:17 09 Dec 08

I've just spotted your note that you can't even open IE. So my advice above is useless!

Never again 10:27 09 Dec 08

No yellow nasties in device manager, but I am sure it is a software problem as I can browse using firefox.

Good suggestion regarding reset but I cant get there as it will not open - is there another way to do that?

Control panel will also not let me open internet options.

I have managed to generate an error message which states iexplore.exe - application error. the instruction at 0x7c910efe referenced memory at 0xc1871b61. the memory could not be read. click on ok to terminate the program. click on cancel to debug.

rdave13 10:36 09 Dec 08

Try resetting internet explorer via control panel. Note that you will not loose any of your favourites and addons will be disabled but not removed. Passwords, cookies etc will be deleted; click here

rdave13 10:38 09 Dec 08

Sorry,didn't refresh to see your last post.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:41 09 Dec 08

Repair Internet Explorer explanation
click here

rdave13 10:42 09 Dec 08

Try reinstalling IE8 again see if it runs ok. If so uninstall again via updates.

Never again 10:51 09 Dec 08

I am currently running sfc /scannow and will let you know what happens out of that, but the link only refers to IE versions 6 or older.

I originally looked to unistall IE version 8 in add/ remove programs, but could not see it listed there, which is why I decided just to reinstall v7!!

Will be back soon with results of sfc /scannow.

wis 10:53 09 Dec 08

Control panel will also not let me open internet options.
sounds like a trogen,run full scans in safe mode

malwarebites and superantispyware

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac