Internet Explorer will not open

onthelimit1 10:28 26 Sep 13

Have a Toshiba laptop which has W7 64bit SP1 installed. When I click on the IE icon, the little 'wheel' turns briefly then disappears and IE does not open. It was IE10 - I have now changed that to 9, but same problem. Chrome had a similar problem, but I uninstalled that and loaded a standalone version which works normally.

Not the end of the world (I prefer Chrome and will try to persuade the owner to do the same), but would be nice to get to the bottom of this little snag.

Press Man 13:43 26 Sep 13

Try re-setting IE, go to control panel and open "Internet Options" click on the advanced tab and at the bottom you will see "reset" click on it and IE will re-set itself.

onthelimit1 15:00 26 Sep 13

That's something else strange - on that page there is no 'reset' - the bottom half of the page is blank!

onthelimit1 15:07 26 Sep 13

To be precise - on the advanced tab, there is a 'restore advanced settings', but on the general tab, the page is as I described. Restore advanced settings has made no difference.

onthelimit1 15:11 26 Sep 13

I'm being dull - just re-checked -

On the advanced tab there is no reset button underneath the restore advanced settings.

On the General tab, there is no Home page, Startup or Tabs!

Press Man 15:11 26 Sep 13

It's the "reset" button on the "Advanced" tab, not the "restore advanced settings" button.

rdave13 15:17 26 Sep 13

Try opening IE no-addons from all programs, accessories, system tools and if it opens reset from there.

onthelimit1 15:38 26 Sep 13

Press man - that rest button is the one missing

Jock1e - sfc /scannow found faults and corrected them, but IE still duff.

Tried rdave's idea - still nothing.

Press Man 16:00 26 Sep 13

Try re-installing IE 10 from MS website.

onthelimit1 16:44 26 Sep 13

Press Man. Thanks - MS say the computer is not compatible with IE10! I'm wondering about a repair install of Windows. My only worry is the COA sticker is partly worn. Magical Jelly Bean reveals a code which I believe to be the OEM one, so not too sure about risking it.

jaywoo 17:40 26 Sep 13

Run a full scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware, if you haven't already.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5