Internet Explorer was not able to open this site

Mike43 18:18 18 Sep 08

The full message reads "Internet Explorer was not able to open this internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later".
This error message comes up when I try to download anything from a website, or from hotmail or even from a Windows Live Skydrive folder. I can open files if that options shows, but not save them. My machine is running Vista Home, and it has just updated to SP1 with IE7 - it's a new laptop. All the internet settings are identical to those on my WinXP PC, which has no problems downloading the identical items. In some instances when trying to download from websites IE doesn't put out the message but closes itself down and then reboots itself. Any expert ideas would be appreciated.

wis 19:26 18 Sep 08

i would have a look at control panel, classic view
internet options,network connections before anything drastic

Mike43 21:05 18 Sep 08

Thanks WIS but the machine is connected fine through a wireless router and is otherwise connecting fine, including viewing websites and downloading normally from Microsoft Mail etc.

Mike43 22:00 21 Sep 08

Resolved by backing out to a restore point before SP1 installed, at which point all was well. Machine then ok after reinstalling SP1. Solved, but without understanding!

woodchip 22:21 21 Sep 08

Do you have Windows Firewall Enabled????? If so try turning it off

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…