Internet Explorer slow unless you disable Script

birdface 15:52 17 Mar 11
Answered

Why is internet explorer so slow compared with other browsers.
Changing from one thread to another is slower than Firefox.
Indeed the circle on the address bar keeps turning for about 15 seconds after the new thread or page has been picked.
Just went into Tools.Developers tools.disable and clicked on script.
I would say without the script I/E would be about the quickest Browser out there.
Unfortunately there is some programs that need script installed so I have to enable it again to use them.
Maybe if they put an easier or quicker way to disable script more folk would use I/E.

Woolwell 15:55 17 Mar 11

You appear to have had an issue with script before. I find IE9 to be quick and actually faster than Firefox on PCA. On my system Firefox seems to be the slowest browser on PCA. Opera and Chrome work very quickly on PCA.

sunnystaines 17:01 17 Mar 11

i am finding firefox 3 the slow one now, crome 10 & IE9 both faster.

perhaps ff4 will catch up.

birdface 17:12 17 Mar 11

Yes for some reason I have always had problems with script slowing I/E down.
Not sure what the problem is but obviously not shared by everyone.
So must be something I have on my computer.

Batch 17:42 17 Mar 11

What version of IE are you using?

Versions of IE before IE9 were renowned for having exceedingly slow Javascript engines. On tests, IE had often been found to be about 1/10th the speed of the likes of Opera and Chrome.

I've switched to Chrome as my main browser purely because of the speed issue (I'm using WinXP so can't readily switch to IE9). The main downside with Chrome is the piss-poor bookmark (aka favourites) handling (ameliorated to some extent by using the Neat Bookmarks extension).

I liked Opera in many respects (including decent bookmark facilities), but compatibility issues between Opera and a number of mainstream websites meant that Chrome had the edge.

mooly 17:53 17 Mar 11

Just interested in reading all the threads on IE9
It seems a little slower initially opening than IE8 (two tabs, Yahaoo and Google) but OK in use.

"script" option is greyed out on mine (Tools.Developers tools.disable)

Don't know if that means anything.

birdface 18:10 17 Mar 11

Using W/7 64Bit and IE/9.
But it was as slow with I/E8.
it can change pages at a reasonable rate but the circle or globe in the address bar keeps turning for about another 15 seconds.
Tried with all my security programs switched off and still the same.
i have always preferred i/E but Firefox is faster for me now so thats what I use.
If you have tabs switched on the circle or globe moves to that.

Woolwell 18:34 17 Mar 11

Agree with your comments about Opera. Found a few websites that it didn't like or didn't like it eg banking.

birdface 00:10 18 Mar 11
Answer

Well back on Firefox and looks like I will be staying on here.
I have had 2 new computers in the last 6 months and they are picking up the same problem with I/E that my old computer did.
Not sure if it could be an ISP problem or not I have stopped all my security running and it is still the same.
So will class as resolved as I have tried on many occasions to find the problem without any success.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…