Internet Explorer Settings

peterleemaxwell 10:08 23 Jul 04

I'm after some advice.
I used some software awhile ago that changed my settings in Internet Explorer. Whilst I can do nearly everything I require, when I go to a web site that needs 'Macromedia FlashPlayer' then nothing appears. I've been to the web site and it will not download the flash programme. The settings must need changing. Can anyone give me the settings needed to allow 'Flash' but still remain 'safe' on-line.
'System Restore' is not an option. Thanks for any input. Appreciated.

AndySD 10:43 23 Jul 04

Open Internet Explorer.

Choose Tools then Internet Options.

Select the Security tab.

Choose Internet.

Ensure that "Download Signed ActiveX controls" is set to prompt and "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" is set to enabled.

Bugzee 11:11 23 Jul 04

is the software you installed some sort of anti virus or spyware blocker ?

peterleemaxwell 11:35 23 Jul 04

Hi AndySD,
Thanks for your help. Both those settings are as you have suggested.
Bugzee,
I have used many new 'adware, Malware and trojan type software. Never believing one or two will suffice. After running each they all find different things although the type of progs. are supposed to be the same. Here is the list:-
A2, Adware6, Spybot Pro.,XoftSpy Trojan Hunter to name a few. Would one of these stop 'Flash'?
Hope to get a reply.

Bugzee 12:15 23 Jul 04

i had a very similar problem as you , i found that when running spyware blaster ,flash kill was enabled , thus stopping flash websites opening

peterleemaxwell 12:45 23 Jul 04

Hi Bugzee,
Looked into the prog. Never knew that setting was there, but there was no 'Tick' in it. I'll check the other software to see if there is the same thing. Thanks for your help.

GaT7 13:21 23 Jul 04

Hi peterleemaxwell, Careful about XoftSpy - it is bogus antispyware click here (scroll down a bit). I recently used one of these 'rogues' & it wanted to remove some items in the registry that were part of restricted sites I setup in IE &/or are part of SpywareBlaster's blocked sites - i.e., it finds 'false positives' to entice you to use/purchase the program.

The others you use are fine as well as Spy Sweeper & PestPatrol click here. For a more complete list of 'legit' anti-spyware products, click here. HTH : ) G

peterleemaxwell 15:25 23 Jul 04

Hi Crossbow7, Thanks for the info. All new to me. It would certainly benefit others to know about the bad ones. I'll un-install it immediately. Appreciated.

GaT7 18:14 23 Jul 04

"It would certainly benefit others to know about the bad ones"

Good thinking. I've just posted a new thread about it - click here. G

peterleemaxwell 21:17 23 Jul 04

Thanks Crossbow7. It will prove beneficial to all those not aware of some who are not helpful on the Internet.

GaT7 21:50 23 Jul 04

No problem peterleemaxwell. How are you getting on with your original problem? G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…