Internet Explorer Problems!?

Terrylr 10:18 23 Jun 03

I wonder if anyone can help me....

I'm running Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 and am
having problems...

If a pop up window opens or sometimes if I click a link
that opens another window, internet explorer will just crash. I then have to Ctrl, Alt & Del and end task which then of course closes all mt internet explorer windows... I have tried installing windows updates but and also tried repairing it via the add/remove section... nothing seems to help...anyone have any idea's?!

Many Thanks in advance!

MichelleC 10:27 23 Jun 03

What's your os?

Terrylr 10:29 23 Jun 03's Windows 2000 Pro 5.0, Build 2195 with service pack 3 installed

MichelleC 11:36 23 Jun 03

Intead of using repair (which rarely works) try restoring to previous version. In not post back as there's other things to try. It's a pain when ie goes wobbly but it can be deleted and reinstalled but it's not easy.

Terrylr 11:39 23 Jun 03

Hi Michelle... thanks for your help...

trouble is it's never worked... i've just bothered to do something about it now... I don't think that restoring will help in this case :(

S Walch 13:21 23 Jun 03

1. Re-install Internet Explorer
2. Get another Internet Browser

I use Opera click here - and to be honest - it's far superior to IE - at least opera sort out bugs weekly - rather then when they want to.

Other alternativs:

Mozilla click here
Netscape click here

Terrylr 13:28 23 Jun 03

S Walch - that really isn't sorting out the problem is it but rather avoiding it.

Thanks for your advice anyway

MichelleC 14:50 23 Jun 03

Okay, things to try, but I'd try the restore to previous version 1st via add/remove. If no go then:

If you try the described method and "Restore previous..." is diabled, find the file iemigrat.dll and rename it to iemigrat.old. Reinstall Windows over the current installation (you will lose no data), then install Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2. Visit Windows Update for the security patches.

Deleting IE;
Look in your c:\windows\inf folder and see if you find any files named oemxx.inf which have a length of 0 (zero), where the xx can be any number.
There could be potentially many thousands. If you do, you need to erase these.

Here's a MS article: click here;en-us;281967 : Computer Stops Responding (Hangs) During Setup, Installing Updates, or Adding New Hardware

Now go to Start/Find, and type wininit.ini
When found, highlight the file and hit 'delete'

Warning: leave Wininit.exe, Wininit.bak, and Win.ini alone

Go to C:\Windows\Temp, and empty the folder completely.

Go to Microsoft Download Center ( click here? ), and select the version of IE you'd like to download.

Now shut down as many running programs as possible, especially your antivirus, and try downloading and installing IE again.

Word of caution to b/up data 1st.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…