internet explorer problem after trojan horse

Shorty123 09:21 05 Oct 04

My pal got a trojan horse, avg detected it and dealt with it (locked it in virus vault) but ever since, when she connects to internet she cannot get up her home page, it tries for a while then gets the standard "page cannot be found, refresh, try again later etc" message. Any suggestions gratefully received. By the way she is on Windows 98 (may be 2nd edition)and uses zonealarm firewall.
Cheers, Shorty

no-name 09:46 05 Oct 04

Try running CWShredder free download from click here

VoG II 09:48 05 Oct 04

Try this click here

Shorty123 10:27 05 Oct 04

Thanks, I'll have a look at these and give it a go, I'll report back with result
Cheers, Shorty

georgemac 11:09 05 Oct 04

also install spywareblaster, download adaware and spybot and scan with these too

Shorty123 14:22 05 Oct 04

Ok, tried the Winsock Fix, it didn't help at all. I didn't understand the first link so didn't attempt that one. I have run adaware on my pc before but had no idea what all the files it found were and what to do with them so I am wary of using that again. Is Spybot simple to use? By the way, the trojan horse she got is called is in 3 parts, called
Installer2.exe
Winad[1].exe
After winsock fix didn't work I ran regedit and found files in there called winad. I deleted all but one - it wouldn't delete, but the problem still persists. I wasn't accurate earlier, when she tries to connect to IE the egg timer goes for a while but then disappears ahd she is still on her desktop. I emailed her with 2 links (outlook express is working fine), one to google and one to this website. We were able to use them twice each but then they won't work either! Hope this all makes sense,
Cheers, Shorty

georgemac 15:12 05 Oct 04

if you are happy editing the registry I cannot understand your reluctance to run adaware - it has obviously detected numerous malaware files on the pc.

First create a restore point.

Second run adaware se (the latest version) and when it finds all the problems right click one and go select all then allow the program to fix the problems. It is an excellent application IMHO

spybot is very similar to adaware and I would urge you to use this also.

then I would download and install spywarebalster

if adaware or spybot cannot fix all the problems post what is left.

I would also run cwshredder which has already been mentioned - download if from click here and scan for problems.

georgemac 15:18 05 Oct 04

Download Ad-aware SE from here. Install the program and launch it.

First, in the main window, look in the bottom right corner and click on Check for updates now and download the latest reference files.

Next, we need to configure Ad-aware for a full scan.

Click on the Gear icon (second from the left) to access the preferences/settings window

1. In the General window make sure the following are selected:
· Automatically save log-file
· Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal
· Safe Mode (always request confirmation)
2. Click on the Scanning button on the left and select :
· Scan Within Archives
· Scan Active Processes
· Scan Registry
· Deep Scan Registry
· Scan my IE favorites for banned URL’s
· Scan my Hosts file
· Under Click here to select drives + folders, choose:
· All of your hard drives
Click on the Advanced button on the left and select:
· Include additional process information
· Include additional file information
· Include environment information
Click the Tweak button and select:
· Under the Scanning Engine:
o Unload recognized processes & modules during scan
o Include additional Ad-aware settings in logfile
· Under the Cleaning Engine:
o Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot
Click on Proceed to save the settings.

Click Start and on the next screen choose:
· Use Custom Scanning Options
Click Next and Ad-aware will scan your hard drive(s) with the options you have selected.

When finished, mark everything for removal and get rid of it. (Right-click the window and choose Select All from the drop down menu and click Next).

Reboot your computer.

possibly also try this click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:19 05 Oct 04

If adaware found lots of files then your pc is riddled with spyware. Just tick the boxes next to the files listed and click 'next' adaware will delete them, don't worry it will not delete anything important.

Repair IE
click here

Shorty123 15:42 05 Oct 04

Thanks everyone. I have now downloaded and run spybot on my pc (and got rid of 264 dodgy things). My friend is the one with the serious problem - we cannot get her onto the internet to download this stuff. I will put spybot on a disc and run it on her machine and see if it solves the problem. I am now going to download adaware and the other stuff recommended here as I now feel more confident thanks to all the great advice here. I'll post back if I still cannot solve her problem.
Cheers, Shorty

georgemac 15:47 05 Oct 04

good luck shorty, click here and download hijack this

if all else fails on your friends pc run this and copy the log and post it here

I cannot help with it but someone will be able to - this is usually a last resort.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…