Internet Explorer Problem

SURVEY 12:06 13 Oct 10

I run Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13 on a Window XP computer. Normally I use Firefox or Chrome but need IE for editing a website whose editing suite is tied to Microsoft and thus IE. The problem is that quite often on clicking on the IE icon for the first time each day IE fails to open, just giving a blank white screen. Ctrl/Alt/Delete claers it and then on reopening IE, all is well each time I subsequently open IE. I have reinstalled IE but the problem persists.Any ideas what may be wrong?

birdface 12:27 13 Oct 10

Probably have it set to open a blank page.
Try Tools.Internet Options.Type the web address page that you want it to open with and then press apply.
If it already has a typed address on there just press use current.Or maybe use default memory not as good as it used to be.

kristain 12:28 13 Oct 10

do one of the following:

1. try to update
2. still face the problem re-install

shallyd 12:37 13 Oct 10

Follow the step to fix the problem hope this helps

step 1
Open your computer's Run application window by clicking Start. Highlight and click "Run." If you use Windows Vista, click the Windows icon, then type "Run" into the search bar and press "Enter."

step 2

Open the registry editor by typing "regedit." Click "OK."

step 3

Open the Internet Settings registry. Double-click the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" line, then double-click the "Software" folder.

step 4

Select the "Microsoft" folder and double-click it. Open the "Windows" folder. From there, open "Current Version" and "Internet Settings."

step 5

Double-click "UseColnstall." This opens the Edit DWORD Value box.

step 6

Change the value to zero by typing "0" into the Value data box. Entering a zero here tells your computer to disable this particular line of the registry. Click "OK" to save this value.

step 7

Exit the registry editor by clicking "File" in the top menu bar, then highlighting and clicking "Exit."

step 8

Launch Internet Explorer by double-clicking the IE7 icon on your desktop.

for more information click here

SURVEY 12:40 13 Oct 10

buteman - I have set to open as blank page!

kristain - I have reinstalled!

SURVEY 12:43 13 Oct 10

shallyd - yiour stpe 5 - I do not have UseColnstall as a submenu folder!

birdface 12:50 13 Oct 10

You could try pressing Fix it from here.

click here

After you run that you may have to enable some of your add-ons again and do the same with Spywareblaster if you use that.

Or try clicking on Internet explorer in all program just in case it is the shortcut Icon that has a fault.

birdface 12:51 13 Oct 10

There were a few updates for For Internet explorer last night so maybe download them and see if it makes any difference.

SURVEY 13:31 13 Oct 10

Have re-tried the Reset option in Tools and this time it seems to have worked! Hopefully the problem will not raise its head again. Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant