Internet Explorer problem

kangawallafox 06:52 29 Aug 04

Hi all,
I ended up with a truck load of spyware/malware/trojans on my computer the other day from some site or other, I scanned with Adaware 6, A²(A squared)and Panda Antivirus.
Got rid of all the adware/malware etc, but now I can't log into hotmail.
I get as far as the log in screen, enter my username and password, but all it loads is a blank white page.
Tried resetting everything to default in I.E., even tried re-installing XP Pro, but neither of those helped.
Can still access hotmail with Netscape, so changed my password just in case.

Anyone have any ideas how I can re-access hotmail with I.E.???

Phil

Valvegrid 07:37 29 Aug 04

Go to control panel then Add/Remove programs and click on Microsoft Internet Explorer and internet tools, click on remove, a menu will appear with three options, click on the option to repair.

VoG II 07:48 29 Aug 04

IE repair for XP click here

kangawallafox 07:55 29 Aug 04

Thank you Valvegrid, tried the uninstall/repair option with no luck.

Will try VoG™'s repair link now......

kangawallafox 08:23 29 Aug 04

Tried the repair options listed in that link VoG™, but still the problem remains.

Looks like I might have to get used to using Netscape for hotmail....
Or do a format and reinstall.....

VoG II 08:47 29 Aug 04

The alternative is to read your Hotmail in Outlook Express. In OE, Tools/Accounts, Mail tab. Click the Add button and follow the prompts. When you get to the Email Server screen choose HTTP from the drop-down.

Apologies if you already know this.

kangawallafox 08:53 29 Aug 04

Actually I didn't know that.
Thank you for the info VoG™
I always like learning new things to do with computers. That's one of the reasons I come to PC Advisor. :-)

Stuartli 08:56 29 Aug 04

Might be worth looking in Add/Remove again, but this time Add/Remove Components, to see if IE is checked.

Bugzee 11:02 29 Aug 04

i had a problem like yours , does the blank page have a padlock at the bottom ? if it has go in to tools on the page click on security and restore defaults , it worked for me

Bugzee 11:06 29 Aug 04

sorry , tools , internet options ,security , restore defaults

kangawallafox 23:42 29 Aug 04

Thanks Bugzee, tried your suggestion (the closed padlock does appear), however, ensuring security levels were set to default has made no difference. I still get the blank white page after logging in to hotmail. :-(

I do have XP-Lite, so I might just totally uninstall IE through that, and then reinstall it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…