Internet Explorer problem

Mike D 12:58 15 Feb 04

This is probably a simple one, but....

My cousin, who is obviously living in cloud cuckoo land because he asked me to look at his pc, cannot access any web sites.

He has Windows XP Home and Norton Internet Security 2003, which threw a wobbly and could only be induced to work (if that's the right expression) by uninstalling and reinstalling. Now whatever URL is typed in, the "Cannot find server" message comes up. I have tried to reduce any security restrictions to nil, but the same message comes up.

Any suggestions please?

Mike

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 13:02 15 Feb 04

Have u tried not reinstalling norton and then connecting to sites,see if you can then it sounds like norton needs seting up or in my opinon putting in the bin never liked norton stuff but each to there own.You can get seperate apps for virus and firewall that do a better job in my opinion.

Regards.

LastChip 13:04 15 Feb 04

What happens if you disable Norton Security?

Many people have found this does not play well with XP.

carvers 14:37 15 Feb 04

i have norton antivirus and firewall with xp and other than an odd glitch have found them to be excellent as is their online technical help, that said i have just had the same problem today and used system restore back 2 days and this cleared the problem so may be worth a try.

Mike D 11:00 16 Feb 04

Thanks for your suggestions. The problems really started after a re-installation but, damn me if out of the blue it didn.t suddenly start a massive live update d/l, followed by a marathon programme scan, and now all is working as it shold be!

Thanks again

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…