Internet Explorer or not?

alboy 20:00 09 Nov 05

Just got new computer and getting Broadband, have been advised using a browser other than Internet Explorer will lessen chances of viruses etc, any views or suggestions

Diodorus Siculus 20:06 09 Nov 05

A little care and the use of click here
SWB will help.

Use FireFox browser - it is excellent.

interzone55 20:08 09 Nov 05

If you're careful, and ensure that you always install the latest Windows updates Internet Explorer will do you fine.

Having said that I use Firefox as it's natively more secure, I also prefer the way it looks and the fact that it's almost infinately customisable.

I would recommend that you switch off the Windows Firewall and instead install a firewall such as Zone Alarm or Outpost. You should also install a decent Anti Virus package such as AVG Free or Avast! 4.

syslater 20:08 09 Nov 05

I have been using Mozilla Firefox for the last few months without any issues to date. It's updated quite regularly too.

Microsoft are going to be releasing IE7 soon too but, haven't heard that much about it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:10 09 Nov 05

Firefox is excellant however some sites still need IE.

Keep your antivirus updated and use good antispyware such as MSantispy, Adaware and spywareblaster an you will not hav any problems.

Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
MSoftAntispy Beta click here
Ewido click here

woodchip 20:12 09 Nov 05

Yes fully agree with another browser, Plus IE needs repairing all the time. That's why I went back to Netscape 7.2 click here

GaT7 20:32 09 Nov 05

Do as Fruit Bat says. For IE-only sites you can use the IE View extension click here. G

Das Boot 06:02 10 Nov 05

Why not try Deepnet it uses the IE engine has tabbed browsing and is more secure.

Rock On.

Daibus 08:51 10 Nov 05

After IE I started using Avant but then transferred to Firefox and found that it was excellent - fast with very useful extentions but now I tend to use Opera most of the time as it has several advantages and is marginaly faster as well.

As has been stated you really still have to use IE for Microsoft Updates but that is no problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…