Internet Explorer (only) won't connect to the Net

JimJam 10 17:34 19 Jul 07

Can anyone help with this one please?

I'm running XP SP2 home with IE6. Use Zone Alarm. Have a Safecom SWARMU 54108 Router (cable only, wireless switched off). All items have to ask permission before ZA will allow net access, apart from the essential windows components (e.g. it's set so I have to confirm access to the trusted zone and the internet).

I have trouble connecting with the Net using IE. There's no problem with the actual connection as Firefox and Opera both connect without any trouble, as do Thunderbird and various other Web apps. What's odd is that Green Browser and Avant Browsers, which use the IE engine, will also connect to the Net but Advanced Browser, Crazy Browser and Slim Browser, which also use the IE engine, wouldn't (although the latter ones are now uninstalled). I don't use IE but I do have some other web apps which use the IE engine, which also won't connect to the Net.

When starting IE all it does is fire up. Entering anything into the search bar and hitting enter gives no response at all, it doesn't even get as far as ZA asking to allow trusted zone/Net access for IE. The hour glass shows if the pointer is within the title or status bars, and it rotates, but nowhere else (i.e. not when it's within the main panel, tool or search bars). I've reinstalled Ie.inf and run the IE Fix patch but still get the problem. It almost seems as if IE can't connect to the LAN but the settings are the same for IE Avant and Green Browser. Under Control Panel/Internet Properties/Connections/LAN Settings it's set up to auto detect settings.

Anyone got any ideas whet the problem is and how to fix it?

JimJam 10 17:50 19 Jul 07

Whoops sorry, should also have said I've run SFC, done a Windows Repair and reset everything to default settings but still haven't had any improvement.

Andy1991 18:48 19 Jul 07

I had this once. I had to uninstall IE7 to go back to 6 then install 7 again.

JimJam 10 19:02 19 Jul 07

Andy1991, thanks for the thought. The trouble I've got is it is IE6 that's the problem so I can't uninstall it unless I use the MS fix, which can be a bit dangerous.

Andy1991 19:06 19 Jul 07

Have u got ur windows XP Cd with u?

JimJam 10 19:49 19 Jul 07

Yep

birdface 08:00 20 Jul 07

I presume that you have tried Tools. Internet Options.And press the button,Make sure Internet Explorer is the default web browser.Apply .Ok. Or try switching Zone Alarm off and try it.

JimJam 10 16:02 20 Jul 07

buteman. Tools. Internet Options? do you mean Control Panel/Internet Options? If so which button, there are quite a lot of them. I've tried with ZA switched off and no joy. IE is set up identically to all other apps in ZA (apart from the essential Windows components that ZA sets up by default) to `Ask' whenever it wants to access either Trusted Zones and the Net. It doesn't get far enough to request access, it seems to be hanging at the point of trying to pick up connection details (or certainly between hitting enter and actually trying to get Internet access). Most other Net related apps have no problem, just some of the ones that use the IE engine. As mentioned before, bizarrely some IE engine driven apps also have no problem.

birdface 16:09 20 Jul 07

Control Panel,Internet options.Programs.Press Internet Explorer is the default web browser.Apply.Ok.

JimJam 10 13:43 25 Jul 07

Did that, no change.

The measures I've tried so far are as follows:

Cleared Cookies, Temporary files and History

Re-installed IE.inf and run the IE Fix patch but still get the problem.

Ran SFC /Scannow, no change

Did a Repair re-install of XP, no change

Repaired the Registry with Ashampoo WinOptimiser Platinum 3, Lexun RegScrub XP and RegCompact.Net (I've used all three of these for some time so trust them, but not enough to not back up the registry beforehand).

Ran this command: rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\inf\ie.inf, no change

Disabled all IE extensions except the Sun Java plugins

Ran the following in a batch file:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 mshtml.dll
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 browseui.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll
regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 msjava.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll
regsvr32 schannel.dll
regsvr32 scrrun.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 sccbase.dll
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 ole32.dll
regsvr32 shell32.dll

This gave a result of: "LoadLibrary("msjava.dll") failed - The specified module could not be found"
and "schannel.dll was loaded, but the DLLRegisterServer entry point was not found. The file can not be registered".

All the others registered OK.

I searched for msjava.dll and there isn't one on the hard disk. I saw some advice to generate an empty msjava.txt file in windows or system32 and then rename it to .dll, which I did with no change.

I looked in the IE extensions at the Java plug-ins and two dll's are shown as potentially important: SVV.DLL and npjpi160_02.dll. I re-registered both. The npjpi one registers o.k. but the svv.dll gives the following error message: "DLLRegisterServer in C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll failed. Return code was: 0x80004005", so, at a guess, the problem may well be aroud these two dll's.

birdface 14:54 25 Jul 07

click here First one might be helpfull. Another to have a look at,If you can't find anyting to help on those two, If you go Into Add remove.And delete all your java programs.Run C Cleaner And the reinstall the latest one.6.2 see if that helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…