Internet Explorer not Working

I can receive messages on my BT/Yahoo screen, but can't compose, retrieve from 'draft' or print. It appears there's something wrong with IE. (I'm using XP home.)

The 'about IE' drop down box states no version, strength or product ID. I have been advised to reinstall IE from the Microsoft site.

However, when I try to do this I'm not allowed to because the version installed is later than the ones available for downloading.
And the same goes for attemting to reinstall from my original set-up CD.

Any ideas what to do please? It sems as if I'm going round in circles. For some reason or other BT Yahoo is no longer 'meshing' with IE.

Many thanks.

mattyc_92 15:32 05 Feb 05

Try removing IE from the Windows Componants (found in Add or Remove Programs)...

Then restart the systema and try re-installing it from your XP installation disk...

AndySD 15:37 05 Feb 05
  VoG II 16:42 05 Feb 05

Thanks VOG - it certainly seems to be the one I might require, especially since it says it'll fix the blank 'About Explorer' drop-down box. However, I get a message saying "The file IEXPLORE.EXE is missing on Windows XP Home" and that Service Pack 2 CD is required. However, I haven't got this CD, only the original, and can't find the file on the MS download site. Any more suggestions please?

I have spent about 12 hours on this so far. In the end I uninstalled XP Service Pack 2 and that solved the problem, plus my computer works faster too. Amazing. These MS 'upgrades' seem to be nothing more than a pain in the backside.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…