Internet Explorer not connecting to ISP

brigger 01:55 09 Feb 05

To use Internet Explorer I have to connect with Outlook Express first. I've created a second connection (to my ISP) using a wizard in Windows 98, with this I get 'Internet Explorer cannot find search page' (this is before any sounds from the modem). This second connection allows Outlook Express to connect but it doesn't automaticaly download email, although it does allow IE to connect (after it's used to connect Outlook Express). My original connection is now OK for Outlook Express, but email didn't download until I created the new connection.

Failed fixes:
Run: REGSVR32 SOFTPUB.DLL
Winsockxpfix.exe
PCRescue

Everything was OK until I got the netsky.Q worm, now disinfected with AVG, and there are no registry errors (according to Mijenix Fit-It).

I'm using an old notebook with Windows 98, Internet Explorer v6.0, Outlook Express 4.72, ISP: freeuk.com (with dial-up)

I realise I might have to ask my ISP, I'm trying here first as I've asked a lot of questions lately, they're free and I don't want to overtax them.

Thanks for any help

brigger 02:18 09 Feb 05

'Always dial my default connection' on my old connection works. I thought I'd tried this but obviously not. I don't know why 'dial whenever a network connection is not present' doesn't work (It's not on a LAN or anything) but I don't suppose it matters.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5