Internet explorer needs to close .....

The Old Git 19:56 28 Sep 04

The above message* appears in a window after I have been using IE6 for a short while looking at a few pages. I have seen the effect occasionally in the past but this is happening all the time and makes IE6 almost unusable. I can use Mozilla and Opera for most purposes and these are OK but some applications have IE6 built in as a default browser when downloading, eg updates of software. Makes it hard to keep my antivirus up to date!

I am running XP Home (the latest edition with SP2 already built in) and have done a reinstall and a repair but the trouble is still there.

Any ideas, please?

* In more detail, the Window says:

Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something the information you were working on might be lost.

Please tell Microsoft about this problem......

Finishes with two boxes one to send error report other not to. Click on either and the window goes and IE6 closes.

Lionheart ? 20:01 28 Sep 04

Try here click here

The Old Git 20:42 29 Sep 04

The document you directed me deals with older beta software. Mine is a very new XP disk (including SP2) with the beta things no longer there. It doesn't show the items the document mentions. Thanks anyway.

There's one odd thing - the problem seems to be like a sasser worm from what I read but my EZ Antivirus v6 says I am clear. Very strange.

Dan the Confused 20:47 29 Sep 04

Try eScan click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:53 29 Sep 04

Type

sfc/ scannow

in the run box XP will scan and replace missing / corrupt system IE and OE files. May prompt for XP CD in drive. (Takes awhile)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…