Is internet explorer less stable than firefox?

VNAM75 19:05 12 Apr 08

When I open IE I usually get an error like "IE has encountered a problem and needs to close" but I normally open it again and its fine. But sometimes I get these errors repeatedly, one after another, and therefore cannot open IE. Luckily I have firefox installed so I can access the internet when IE decides to play up. If I hadn't of had FF installed I wouldn't have been able to access the net, because I would've had to get on the net using IE to get Firefox - catch 22.

So its a good idea to have a backup internet browser installed. What are other good browsers - I've heard Opera is good?

How do I transfer my IE settings to FF eg. cookies etc so I don't have to visit each website fresh and input login details etc. And the Home key on my keyboard is programmed to take me back to my yahoo home page but this doesn't work in FF as I presume its linked to IE (its a microsoft keyboard)

rawprawn 19:28 12 Apr 08

Perhaps trying a repair to IE would be worthwhile
click here IE is an excellent browser.
I can also recommend Opera if you wish to change

VNAM75 19:35 12 Apr 08

rawprawn, thanks. I still can't open IE 7 to reset it, so will try later and post back to say if it works.

birdface 20:11 12 Apr 08

Internet Options on control panel.Advanced and press reset.

laurie53 20:29 12 Apr 08

IMO yes.

That's why I use Firefox.

Technotiger 20:30 12 Apr 08

As you already have Firefox anyway (you can of course use FF and IE) why not got to Control Panel>Add/Remove and un-install IE7. This will revert your IE to IE6 which I am sure will run perfectly. I use both FF and IE6, never have any problems.

Jak_1 21:25 12 Apr 08

Like Technotiger, I run Firefox and IE6 simultaneously with no problems. Some websites are better viewed in IE and others with FF.

VNAM75 21:32 12 Apr 08

OK, but IE7 is working now. Don't want to reset it because will lose the cookies, passwords etc And don't want ie6 because it doesn't have the multiple tab facility in ie7.

VNAM75,
ie7pro is a cracking add on for ie7
click here

Technotiger 21:41 12 Apr 08

Fine if IE7 is working now for you, but IE7 never did work properly for me no matter what I tried - that is why I keep IE6 but mainly use Firefox, I too like the Tabs.

Cheers.

VNAM75 22:13 12 Apr 08

Technotiger, IE7 is normally fine, just sometimes I get error messages on opening it and need to reopen about 2-3 times until it loads, not a major problem. The thing with firefox is when you open some webpages/sites (this one for instance)the page contents are highlighted in a dark tone initially before the page loads properly in its normal colours (don't know if you know what I mean or if it just happens to me). Also the icons (arrows etc)in the top left corner of FF don't look as polished/smooth as IE7. But FF does seem to load pages marginally faster I think.

Raven, I've installed ie7 pro and have noticed that there is an automatic spellcheck as you write function, the same as in FF - good stuff! What are the other good features? Also, IE7 seems to load first time now. May be others will want to try it too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced