Internet Explorer intermitted freezing

Malcolm Loer 15:03 03 Jun 03

The fault that I am about to explain occurred when I used a Dial-up internet connection. Now that I have BT Broadband the symptoms are still the same.

If I were to open internet explorer immediately after the internet connection was made Internet explorer will always go to my home page with out hanging, but if I were to wait for any amount of time it will sometimes hang for +/- 30 seconds before any activity, but not always, because other times it will immediately open the page. The same symptoms will occur while I am browsing the internet. All will go well and then as a new link or internet page is opened it will hang for +/- 30 seconds before the page or link is opened. This will occur after a have opened many links and pages and at intermitted intervals.

When using Netscape Navigator to browse the freeze intervals will be less, but it will still occur. Even with Microsoft Express when downloading email it will sometimes take time before a connection is made.

I have tried the IE repair tool, Downgraded to IE5, ran a virus scan with the latest Norton Anti virus program and disabled Norton anti virus to make sure that it is not blocking my internet access. I have now formatted my hard drive, reinstalled only win98 and the BT Broadband software, but the fault still persists.

One very important fact that I have to mention is that it will only hang when a new link or page is opened. It will not hang while it is in a download process. For example when I want to download a file it might hang when the download button is pressed, but it will not hang during the download process no matter how long the download takes.

Can anyone help me? Please!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017