Internet Explorer Home Page keeps changing

johndps 03:08 17 Jan 04

Hello all, and welcome to my troubles
:(
I have a Dell laptop, few years old, with Windows 98, Norton Systemworks is supposed to be protecting it along with ZoneAlarm firewall.
i connect to the web using Internet Explorer through ntl world broadband.
A few weeks ago, Explorer decided to change my homepage, with no promt or permission from me!
As a non-technical person, I clicked on Tools, Internet options, typed in the box my homepage, which is ntlworld.com and hit apply. This was ok for a few hours, then it went back to some site - nkvd.us, which seems to block every address I type into the address bar, including ntlworld.com.
The page which comes back is smartfinder.biz and it says page not found but unhelpfully it appears to be it's own search page. The machine also persistently brings up another page which says something like search the search engines! and gives me a load of possible matches.
Please help me - all I need to do is get Google on screen for searches, and type in addresses on the address bar. I don't want or need all this extra nkvd or smartfinder.biz or pop ups offering a search of search engines.
If anyone could possibly help, I would be most grateful.
John

vinnyo123 03:21 17 Jan 04

download spybot (adware spyware remover) do a google search to find spybot.

great program should get rid of it..

pc moron 03:39 17 Jan 04

Download (for Win 98) these:

Ad-aware
click here

Spybot
click here

Install, then update each program from the Internet.

Scan your machine and see what turns up.

Andsome 08:34 17 Jan 04

Do as suggested above. You have visited a dodgy website and your home page has been hijacked. An AV program and firewall will not protect from this.

johndps 09:34 17 Jan 04

Folks,
I cannot thank you enough.
The problem has been resolved.
When I searched on Google for Spybot, I got SpyKiller. Loaded it, ran it and am now getting my normal homepage up.
Brilliant.
Thank you again to all who replied, I am in your debt.
John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009