internet explorer has gone

brummiesuttoner 10:20 04 Jan 06

hi all.having tried to get rid of windows messenger,when my pc restarted internet explorer has gone from the desktop and programs.i tried to download it again,but had the message"their is a newer version already installed and cannot continue with the download".i cannot find it anywhere.is it essential to have this browser as i have firefox already?will it make any difference not having internet explorer?im using xp pro.many thanks in advance.

Diodorus Siculus 10:25 04 Jan 06

Search for explorer.exe

Right click on it

choose "send to desktop as shortcut"

That should do it.

Diodorus Siculus 10:39 04 Jan 06

Are you on XP?

Right click desktop

properties

desktop tab

customise desktop

ensure that IE is ticked under icons

DaveNic 19:46 05 Jan 06

Go to Control Panel "Add or Remove Programs" Then Click "Add / Remove Windows Components"

Scroll up or down until you see Internet Explorer and make sure it's box is ticked. Click "Next" then "Finished" Then Close "Add or Remove Programs"

mbp 20:03 05 Jan 06

"i cannot find it anywhere.is it essential to have this browser as i have firefox already?will it make any difference not having internet explorer?"

Yes you need it for all your MS Automatic, critical updates. It is possible to do it manually but oh, heavenly when it is done autmatically!

lotvic 01:39 06 Jan 06

click here
Remove Windows Messenger (the easy way)

brummiesuttoner 17:38 15 Jan 06

many thanks DaveNic.thats done the trick!many thanks to you all for your time and advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…