Internet explorer has encountered an error

Hetti 14:17 01 Apr 10

I get the above message every time I try to open a file from an email, Im using Hotmail, IE 7 win X

Hetti 14:29 01 Apr 10

Opps that should read win XP

Terry Brown 14:54 01 Apr 10

What Message ?

If iexplorer has devoloped a fault, the easiest way to repair it is>

Open Control Panel, Add/ Remove Programs.
look on Left side for add/ remove windows components, finmnd iexplorer and unclick.Restart computer

This will remove explorer from yourr computer

Repeat the above, but this time tick the iexplorer, ans a fresh copy will be installed.
Terry

birdface 15:12 01 Apr 10

Or.Tools.Internet Options .Advanced .And press reset.

Hetti 15:37 01 Apr 10

Thanks guys,
I cannot do as you suggest until this eveing, I post back when I try it

birdface 15:44 01 Apr 10

That was how to repair I/Explorer.
But not sure if it is a mail problem and not an I/E problem.
Maybe updating to IE8 might fix the problem.

T0SH 18:37 01 Apr 10

Please note iexplorer.exe is a virus or maybe something worse, the executable for internet explorer is and always has been iexplore.exe

Cheers HC

PC Bilbo 18:55 01 Apr 10

You should update to IE 8 or try another browser. both IE 6 & 7 have known security flaws & have been exploited by hackers. Microsoft released 10 patches for these recently Reported in PC Advisor News Letter today)see here:click here

Are you using a Google toolbar? If so this could be causing the problem you describe. See here for Microsoft's solution: click here

Hetti 19:00 01 Apr 10

tried all of the above.... no joy :>(

Hetti 19:12 01 Apr 10

Latest.......
Tried to install Firefox but was unable to complete download,got the same message, below is what it contained
Error signature,
Appname IE Explorer.exe,
App version 8.0.6001.18702,
Mod name AVGoff2k.dll
mod version 8.0.0.153
offset 00041e6

Hetti 19:24 01 Apr 10

I saw AVG mentioned in the message, so looked on PC and find AVG is still installed as well as microsoft essential, will this be causing problem?
This is my sons PC and I didnt know he had two AV software installed.
I tried to uninstall AVG but got this.,,,

"installer initialization failed due to following error Warning: Internal error. Dialog with id "AvgLinkScannerDetectedDlg"was not found in setup.
Conntact AVG Support

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…