Internet Explorer freezes

whiteribbons 13:17 14 Jul 04

Hello,
I have win 98se which has been working fine until today.When I open internet explorer it loads fine,but if i click on my favorites or even try and go to windows update it freezes and I have to restart the pc!

I hope one of you clever peoople can help me?

Thank you in advance

GaT7 13:30 14 Jul 04

I have Win98se too which freezes at Win update, but if I leave it for 1-2 minutes it usually works normally again.

Try a IE repair & see if that helps:- Go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs. Click on 'Microsoft Internet Explorer...' & click on Add/Remove. In the box that pops up click on 'Repair Internet Explorer' & press OK. Restart your PC when the process completes.

You have checked with updated ad/spyware programs to rule out this possibility, haven't you? HTH, G

Nellie2 13:33 14 Jul 04

What version of IE are you using?

whiteribbons 13:55 14 Jul 04

Hi crossbow,
Thanks for your reply.
I tryed what you suggested but it is still the same!
The PC is my husbands (he always leaves it for me to fix) when he has problems!
He dosnt hve ad/spyware installed because he recently reloaded win.
Could that be a reason and should I install it?

Thanks again

GaT7 13:56 14 Jul 04

Do you have an alternate browser installed? I suggest you get one as a backup if IE misbehaves. You can then use the alternative while you search for a solution. Here are a few popular free ones: 1. Avant click here 2. Firefox click here 3. Mozilla click here 4. Opera click here 5. MyIE2 click here. Avant & Firefox are my favourites & I rarely use IE these days. Try out a few & see which one suits you best.

PS - Good point Nellie2. My version of IE is 6.0.2800.1106 (If you need to know: Open IE. Click on Help -> About Internet Explorer. The box that pops up will have the version you're using.)

GaT7 14:02 14 Jul 04

Sorry our two posts crossed!

1. Download & install Adaware click here, Spybot-S&D click here, CWShredder click here & SpywareBlaster (SB)click here .

2. Update the programs (wherever there is an option).

3. Run scans with the first 3 & delete whatever they find. Enable protection on SB.

4. Also get an alternative Internet browser (links in previous post).

Let us know how you get on, G

whiteribbons 14:04 14 Jul 04

Hi,
It is version 6.0.

whiteribbons 14:17 14 Jul 04

Ok I shall go and do that now,fingers crossed I will report back with good news.

Thanks for your help it is greatly appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos