Internet Explorer fonts too big

Cabochon 15:20 05 Jan 06

the size of text on web sites i go to with Internet Explorer is often screwed up - too big (up to 2 inches high) or overlapping.
I`ve set IE on default and fiddled around but can`t fix the problem. Anyone got any ideas? Can I reinstall just IE from my win XP Pro Cd or something?
Some sites are ok, others are unusable as you just get 4 or 5 big letters across the screen, despite the `text size` being set on `smallest`

Any help appreciated!

Athlon 1000 Mhz/Win XP Pro Pack 2

Icky 15:31 05 Jan 06

In Internet Explorer click on View then Text size and choose the size you want.

ade.h 16:22 05 Jan 06

It sounds like Cabochon has already tried that.

Besides, letters as large as two inches is definitely not just an incorrect text view setting; it doesn't go up that high.

No, this is a symptom of a more serious problem. The first thing to do is try to repair IE. I'll get a link for info about shortly.

ade.h 16:27 05 Jan 06

click here

click here See method 2

Let us know how that works out.

Also, try another browser to rule out other possibilities. Mozilla Firefox or Opera would work.

Cabochon 15:15 06 Jan 06

Ok, I followed the instructions on the microsoft site, ie start > run > sfc /scannow (after realising there was a space after the `sfc` - nothing happened first time) and was prompted for my XP CD (2002 OEM version).
About 45 minutes of it doing stuff followed, though no `results` etc window at the end.
Site has following instruction:

"Important After you use the procedures in this article, you must reinstall any updates to Windows XP again. To reinstall Windows XP updates, visit the following Microsoft Windows Update Web site"

Didn`t need any updates apparently, either using the express or custom button,
So right now I don`t know if I have SP2 etc installed or not. System propertes lists service pack 2 but dunno if maybe it hasn`t realised SP2 is gone.

The problem has however disappeared and we`re back to normal, so that`s great.

Thanks guys for the help.

There seem to be some optional updates, don`t have a clue as to whether theyre useful.:
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0: x86 (KB829019)
Microsoft Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider Package: x86 (KB909520)
Windows Media Connect 2.0 (KB909993)
Update for WMDRM-enabled Media Players (KB891122)
Update for Windows XP (KB900930)
Update for Windows XP (KB896344)

ade.h 17:04 06 Jan 06

Quote "....if maybe it hasn`t realised SP2 is gone."

Can you clarify that please? Have you ininstalled SP2? And if so, why?

Identifying the presence of SP2 - easy; the progress bar that appears shortly before Windows loads will have turned from its original green to blue.

Optional updates - the last two are worth having. The others are only useful for certain users.

Cabochon 18:21 06 Jan 06

I guess I got misled by the heading on the same page:
Windows XP SP2: Reinstall Windows XP SP2

I assumed it had to be done, but the bar you mention is Blue, so got that wrong as well :-)
SP2 must still be in there.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now