Internet Explorer faults

Scubaman 13:47 08 Nov 10

Hi Guys, I am having trouble opening IE8. I click on the desktop icon and nothing happens, I have tried the icon in the quick sdtart menu and the All Programs menu, still nothing. I know my connection is ok as I can access IE from my laptop and my second (experimental) desktop PC. Any ideas please?

penholder 14:00 08 Nov 10

Looks like you have the same problem as me. My posting was just after yours! Will try 124 suggestion next time I boot.

birdface 14:33 08 Nov 10

Try running this Fix it.

click here

You may have to enable a few of your add-ons after running it.

Scubaman 15:25 08 Nov 10

Tried to reset 3 times Buteman but it just hangs at Resetting user customizations. The other thing that is happening is if I open iTunes the song list appears but will not play, I get a message 'program not responding', also with other programs as well.

northumbria61 15:38 08 Nov 10

Try this BUT backup your registry or take a note of the current settings in case you need to reverse the process.

Open Registry Editor and navigate to:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShor­tcut
Backup this key and save as REG file.
Now delete 'InternetShortcut' key.
Open Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options, Programs
Choose "Reset Web Settings"
The URL association should be rebuilt now.

Scubaman 15:50 08 Nov 10

Still no joy buteman. There are some strange things happening, Found New Hardware box appeared and says CD Rom!! but it's always been there.

birdface 16:23 08 Nov 10

maybe try Internet options.programs and make sure Internet explorer is set as default web browser.
Will it work Ok in safe mode.
Or maybe even a system restore to when it was working ok.

birdface 16:31 08 Nov 10

Try taskmanager.Processes and see if explorer.exe is running.
Or command prompt and type in sfc /scannow and press enter on the keyboard.
If using windows 7 you do not need the disk but if using XP you will need the installation disk if it asks for it.
or chkdsk [my computer.right click c drive.properties.Tools.Check now and tick both boxes,it will tell you that you need to reboot for it to start.
It will take about an hour and you will not be able to use your computer till it has finished.
have you ran all your security programs as it could also be a virus.

birdface 16:34 08 Nov 10

One other if using XP.
Right click Local area connection and press repair.
See if it shows a DNS Problem.

Scubaman 16:02 12 Nov 10

I have decided to format and start from scratch.

Scubaman 16:05 12 Nov 10

I have created a new account and deleted the original. All working fine now, thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…