Internet Explorer doesn't open at all suddenly

**nada** 20:44 15 Aug 04

Having only backed up some bits and bobs from a second hard drive I afterwards found internet explorer to no longer work. When I click on the IE icon, the computer thinks for a bit (hourglass) but does no display anything. Also when I tried going to windows update the same thing happens.

I have tried doing system file checker to reinstall internet explorer files but it keeps asking for the CD when it is already in the computer.

Does this sound like a familiar virus? It seems like it because internet explorer goes to run in task manager but dissapears soon after like a virus is constantly closing them down when they go to start up.

**nada** 18:18 16 Aug 04

To update, I got system file checker to work but that didn't fix anything. Also I did a virus scan of all drives, and that came up with a hidden virus file (download.trojan) that I deleted. I also followed the steps from Symantec to remove the virus in case the computer was actually infected by it. However still no success.

I have now installed and am using Netscape successfully, however I still cannot use windows update and I would like to use internet explorer rather than Netscape.

stalion 20:30 16 Aug 04

bump

VoG II 22:15 16 Aug 04

Sorry, all I can think of is a repair click here

**nada** 11:59 21 Aug 04

OK thanks anyway. The problem is still not solved but I will just have to live with netscape for now. I think I'll format this computer at some point to fix it and generally to clear things up.

Gongoozler 12:12 21 Aug 04

Hi **nada**. I can't help with the Internet Explorer problem, but instead of "living with" Netscape, try Mozilla Firefox, click here. Once you get used to it, I don't think you will want to go back ro Internet Explorer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…