Internet Explorer doesn't open at all suddenly

**nada** 20:44 15 Aug 04

Having only backed up some bits and bobs from a second hard drive I afterwards found internet explorer to no longer work. When I click on the IE icon, the computer thinks for a bit (hourglass) but does no display anything. Also when I tried going to windows update the same thing happens.

I have tried doing system file checker to reinstall internet explorer files but it keeps asking for the CD when it is already in the computer.

Does this sound like a familiar virus? It seems like it because internet explorer goes to run in task manager but dissapears soon after like a virus is constantly closing them down when they go to start up.

**nada** 18:18 16 Aug 04

To update, I got system file checker to work but that didn't fix anything. Also I did a virus scan of all drives, and that came up with a hidden virus file (download.trojan) that I deleted. I also followed the steps from Symantec to remove the virus in case the computer was actually infected by it. However still no success.

I have now installed and am using Netscape successfully, however I still cannot use windows update and I would like to use internet explorer rather than Netscape.

stalion 20:30 16 Aug 04

bump

VoG II 22:15 16 Aug 04

Sorry, all I can think of is a repair click here

**nada** 11:59 21 Aug 04

OK thanks anyway. The problem is still not solved but I will just have to live with netscape for now. I think I'll format this computer at some point to fix it and generally to clear things up.

Gongoozler 12:12 21 Aug 04

Hi **nada**. I can't help with the Internet Explorer problem, but instead of "living with" Netscape, try Mozilla Firefox, click here. Once you get used to it, I don't think you will want to go back ro Internet Explorer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…