Internet explorer: difficulty in setting password

Bleriot 11:44 11 May 05

In trying manually to set up Internet Explorer on a new PC delivered with Windows XP Professional already loaded, I have been unable to set the password I need for my dial-up server. The entry box for the password already contains a 16-character line of asterisks which I can delete and replace with my password, but when I next examine the password it has reverted to the 16-character string. I preferred to set up the new computer manually because I am determined not to transfer any of the spying material which appears to have infected my existing (otherwise) trusty Windows 98 machine.

pauldonovan 11:51 11 May 05

..these password boxes expand to be 'filled' with asterisks even if the password is only say 4 characters long.

I think it is security through obscurity - i.e. if someone could see you'd only entered one character they might try and guess it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…