Internet Explorer could not open the Search Page

ADELLA30 16:37 10 Mar 04

I have hybrid wired (Cat5) and wireless home network setup. Two desk computers wired and laptop wireless via a wireless access point. Internet access via Broadband Router/modem All machines use Windows XP OS.
The network is working and I can communicate between all stations. Internet Explorer and Outlook Express can be worked from the desk computers (wired) but not from the laptop which upon opening IE displays message "Internet Explorer could not open the Search Page" and will not allow any addresses to be activated. I can PING my ISP which appears to inicate that the network and broad bank are functioning OK. Can't find any help on MS Knowledge Base, can anyone help please?

///A M G 18:29 10 Mar 04

Are all the proxy settings the same?
And also have you got an after terminal?

ADELLA30 19:07 10 Mar 04

Hi ///AMG
Thanks for you very fast reply.
I'm fairly new to this particular subject, could you please elaborate. Iam not using a proxy server, and what is an after terminal?

///A M G 19:15 10 Mar 04

After terminals are secure ways of connecting to the internet. E.g Lets say i connect to the internet.Once dial up i am asked for a username,password, and an ID which changes every 60 seconds. If you dont use a server then you probbly wont have an after terminal. However, i not sure i this may be the case but does all the computers have the same internet explorer?
Do they all have the latest windows updates? Do you have a firewall which may be stopping the laptop?

ADELLA30 14:45 11 Mar 04

Hi /// AMG
All computers running same version (6) of IE.
Have tried closing firewall but still no joy.
Rgards Jack

///A M G 18:06 11 Mar 04

Hi ADELLA30, do you use Zonealarms as a firewall?

ADELLA30 18:45 11 Mar 04

Hi ///AMG
my firewall is McAfee

///A M G 18:56 11 Mar 04

Right, one other thing, is your laptop sharing all its files and is the fire in stealth mode?

ADELLA30 19:23 11 Mar 04

Hi ///AMG
Shared files Downloads, Music, and Pictures only
Stealth mode? I receive no alerts from fw.

///A M G 20:46 11 Mar 04

stealth Mode, its where the firewall hide the computer on a LAN.
I would suggest starting up in Safe Mode With Networking.

ADELLA30 14:53 12 Mar 04

I have just remembered that when I set up my network I had to nominate an IP address for the laptop. I could not obtain IP address automatically, when I attempted to I could not connect to my network. The two desktops are set for automatic IP address and DNS server.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…