Internet Explorer cannot display webpages

AngelicAngel 17:13 05 Feb 09

Hi. I am posting this on behalf of my sister who is unable to access any internet pages from her pc. She is running XP Home with AVG 8.0 and Zone Alarms. The other day everything was working fine internet was all loading perfectly well. yesterday however when she tried to go onto internet explorer it just came up with page could not be displayed, however her daughter was able to log onto windows live messenger and chat as usual.
My first thought on this was that the firewall (Zone Alrams) was blocking Internet Explorer. I got her to disable ZA and retry the internet again. Still nothing. After trawling through several forum sites I came across checking regsvr32 from the run command. This did bring up a problem with the regsvr mshmtl.dll file which could not register so I've downloaded via my laptop a new copy of this file and installed it in the windows/system32 file. This was successful and it now loads successfully however Internet Explorer is still not able to display any webpages. I have also downloaded via my laptop Firefox and installed it onto my sisters pc to see if it was just IE playing up but nothing comes up in that either. Virusscans and antispyware have been run with nothing showing up. Does anybody have any thoughts on what could be blocking IE. I'm now at a loss. Any help would be very grateful.

recap 18:52 05 Feb 09

Read through the following it may help you diagnose where the problem lies. click here;EN-US;q241344

recap 18:53 05 Feb 09

Tinyurl link for the above: click here

birdface 21:54 05 Feb 09

maybe download Firefox from your computer and install it on your sisters Pc.That should work until you get I/Explorer working again.Or even send it to her E-mail address and she will be able to download it herself.
Or maybe a system restore to a date when it was working.
Maybe time to update and run her security programs.
let us know if they do not update.
What Antispyware programs does she have.

birdface 22:03 05 Feb 09

Sorry you already downloaded Firefox.
If using IE7 she could try Tools.Internet Options and press reset.This resets I/Explorer to its original state.Maybe try with the add-ons turned off.

AngelicAngel 12:23 06 Feb 09

Thanks for the reply...I've tried all of the above with no luck unfortuantely. Also tried restoring the pc to an earlier time however it doesn't seem to want to do that. Tried 4 different restore points so far. Also tried resetting IE to all default settings. Still nothing. Will keep trying.

provider 2 12:45 06 Feb 09

Some stuff for you to work through:

click here

birdface 12:53 06 Feb 09

Maybe try this to get Microsoft updates to work click here is a virus going round just now that stops you updating your security programs.Can your Sister still update all of hers.
Maybe try System Restore in safe mode see if that makes any difference.If on IE7 maybe go back to IE6 and see if it works ok on there.Maybe try downloading and trying this program.30 day trial but it will remove anything it finds not like some other programs.Trojan Remover.Or maybe update your Host File.

birdface 12:54 06 Feb 09

Oops forgot to post it.click here

brundle 13:35 06 Feb 09

Have you ensured Work Offline is not ticked? (File menu).

TCP/IP must be working, try resetting Winsock; click here

AngelicAngel 21:56 08 Feb 09

Thanks for all the posts. I am getting her tower tomorrow so will be able to try all the suggestions. Will post back when I've managed to have another look at it. Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…