Internet Explorer in AOL, suddenly dont work

richierich 21:17 20 Aug 04

Using AOL broadband I can access all sites fine within the AOL browser but when I try using Internet explorer 6 it just goes very very slowly and times out. Previously it worked fine. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled but same
Using XPpro, AOL 8 IE6 any solutions please?

CurlyWhirly 22:39 21 Aug 04

I have the same problem but I don't know why as I am also on AOL broadband.
I know how to cure it and that is to rebuild the AOL adapter from START > PROGRAMS > AOL > AOL SYSTEM INFORMATION > UTILITIES.
If this doesn't work you may also need to go into 'Add/remove programs' and repair the 'AOL Connectivity service'.
You may even have to delete all temporary internet files and cookies.

I have been having this hassle every few days and I am not sure if it is a fault with AOL 9 or Internet Explorer.
CW

richierich 23:33 21 Aug 04

Thanks I'll try that, and report back tommorow probably. Im using AOL 8 I find whenever I upgrade various versions things go wrong, Ill wait until I have to reinstall. Ive always been impressed with aol but lately Ive found the help not very satisfactory.

CurlyWhirly 23:38 21 Aug 04

Yes I agree with you as regards AOL's help not being very satisfactory as all they seem to do is repeat the same solutions all the time!
CW

richierich 00:08 22 Aug 04

tried the uninstall adapter thing, didnt fix problem,
trying add/remove aol connectivity service but when i select aol in add/remove i only get the option to uninstall aol, is this what you mean?

CurlyWhirly 00:21 22 Aug 04

but when i select aol in add/remove i only get the option to uninstall, is this what you mean?

Yes if you select uninstall you will be given a choice of uninstall OR repair.
Select repair NOT uninstall.
CW

CurlyWhirly 00:25 22 Aug 04

I hope you are on about AOL CONNECTIVITY SERVICE and not the AOL program itself.
By the way when you next log on you will have to rename your broadband location I normally call mine 'Home-DSL'.
After you have done this you just log on as before.
I am running AOL 9 and as you are running AOL 8 I am not sure if the same thing happens on your version but it should I think!
CW

richierich 00:27 22 Aug 04

no, there was only the option to uninstall, which is what i have just done, i am now reinstalling it.
By the way, i tried the aol broadband check programme that reported changes to settings and would repair them but it just froze, several times.
I will reinstall and see if that works.

CurlyWhirly 00:29 22 Aug 04

p.s. 'AOL connectivity service' should be a SEPERATE entry in 'add/remove programs'.
If not (cause you are using AOL 8) then I would rather not advise you any further as it is some time since I ran AOL 8 and I have forgotten whether it IS a seperate entry or not!
CW

richierich 00:29 22 Aug 04

No i couldnt see a aol connectivity service, I have uninstalled aol - oh well.

CurlyWhirly 00:31 22 Aug 04

Good luck with your reinstallation.
CW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…