Internet Explorer 8 vs. Firefox?

cowgirl66 20:37 24 Mar 09

Hi, I was jus wondering what some of you think of Microsoft's new browser in terms of speed compared to IE7. I have used IE8 for a few days now but have finally got so frustrated with the loading times I have gone back to IE7. Even opening new tabs was a joke.

I wonder if I should try Firefox instead? Or Chrome or Safari?

birdface 20:49 24 Mar 09

Why not use both I.E and Firefox.
I just downloaded IE8 to-day and can't fault it.No problems so far and hope it stays that way.

VoG II 20:51 24 Mar 09

I also have issues with tabs in IE8.

Try Chrome - you won't be disappointed :o)

cowgirl66 20:56 24 Mar 09

(Is that your nose, VoG?)

Thanks for both your replies, only I was beginning to think I was the only one with IE8 issues.

Maybe some more opinions will be useful posted here??

Regards cowgirl66

iscanut2 21:10 24 Mar 09

There have already been 2 lengthy threads re the virtues or otherwise of IE8. Do a search and you will find. Try Firefox, you will not be disappointed.

VoG II 21:11 24 Mar 09

It's the nearest I can get to a smiley face on here.

Stuartli 21:15 24 Mar 09

At the moment I'm very tempted to kick IE8 as far into touch as possible but, fortunately, I used Firefox for almost 100 per cent of the time (and also have the IE View extension):

click here

ste76 21:20 24 Mar 09

I've also switched to firefox.
Can anyone tell me if windows automatic updates will still work?

DieSse 21:27 24 Mar 09

"Can anyone tell me if windows automatic updates will still work?"

Yes - they don't use a browser at all.

I use Chrome most of the time, for speed. Firefox the rest of the time for some of the add-ons, and a few compatability niggles with Chrome. And IE8 just to check my websites work in it, and an occasional look for non-urgent windows updates.

When the next version of Firefox is released, I'll quite possibly switch to using most of the time (it'll have the speeded-up Javascript in it that Chrome has now).

sunnystaines 21:33 24 Mar 09

i have been messing around with ie8 final build, its now fast on links but still stuck on opening new tabs, and the broken links icon is not always displayed when needed.

tonyx1302 21:34 24 Mar 09

I dumped IE months ago and wish I had done it earlier. It virtually runs it self.I wouldn't go back to IE

Tony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…