Internet Explorer 8 using wrong email program

Breezelands 00:23 04 May 09

Although Office Outlook is selected as preferred email program, Internet Explorer 8 uses Outlook Express to open emails when the Read Mail icon is clicked. Does anyone know why or how I can remedy this? Am using Windows XP & newly downloaded IE8. Thanks.

Technotiger 07:16 04 May 09

Have you made the setting in Start>Set Program Access and Defaults>Custom>Choose a default e-mail program ........ then OK out!

Breezelands 21:43 04 May 09

Thanks Technotiger but have already tried your suggestion to no avail. IE8 still insists on opening Outlook Express although the default is set to Office Outlook 2007. I'll try again and if it doesn't work will open Outlook outside of IE.

Sea Urchin 22:08 04 May 09

In IE8 go to Tools/Internet Options/Programs tab and select Outlook as your required Email program. Click Apply and OK. The Read Mail icon should now open Outlook.

Sea Urchin 12:27 07 May 09

..........so did you get your Read Mail icon working OK?

birdface 13:55 07 May 09

It does not work for me.I am also using IE8 I use Incredimail and it does not work at all.
Might just be an IE8 problem or maybe it just works with Outlook.

Sea Urchin 13:59 07 May 09

When you go to Tools/Internet Options/Programs is Incredimail listed as one of the email options? If you're using Incredimail it should be.

Breezelands 23:58 07 May 09

Sea Urchin
I had already been down the route you suggested and have done this several times since. Clicking on the Read Mail icon no longer opens Outlook Express - it doesn't work at all! (Similar to Buteman). Thanks for the suggestion though.

birdface 00:09 08 May 09

Yes I have Incredimail as the e-mail option.Not that bothered just thought that I would mention it in case it is an IE8 problem.

Sea Urchin 14:57 08 May 09

OK - there does seem to be a bug in IE8 with the Read Mail Icon. This explains how to get it working (hopefully)

click here

Sea Urchin 14:58 08 May 09

PS This "fix" is for IE7 but I'm told it should also work for IE8

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5