Internet Explorer 8 & Broadband slowing right down

crespo 20:24 28 Apr 09

Hi ! As a Silver Surfer Newbie i would appreciate some advice on why my laptop has slowed right down to Dial-up style speeds.I tested the speed with an online checker & i should be getting twice the 1.1 Mbs that was found.

I'm using IE8 & together with my slow broadband speed, it's affecting my research work online.IE8 freezes sometimes, the cursor is all over the place & the Vista "circle" that indicates progress or waiting time comes up quite a lot.

It's a year old laptop with no previous problems.There's not a lot of software downloaded & there's no viruses or spyware.I use Norton Internet Security & also used another online checker and everything is clear.

Could comeone please help me out & tell me why my laptop is behaving so oddly & why the speeds of loading pages & my browser are of dial-up standard.I'm using BT Wireless Broadband by the way.

Thanks very much ~ Crespo.

Marko797 20:44 28 Apr 09

I'll give u the 'classic' reply first and see how u get on. Both are free btw:

1. Get and run CCleaner - use the filehippo link click here

1b. Analyse, then Run Cleaner. Also, run Registry tool, 2nd icon down in CCleaner main menu.

2. Get, update, then run SAS - the second one down - click here

johnnyrocker 20:51 28 Apr 09

also re evaluate norton's settings as is a known heavy user of resources

johnny

T0SH 22:07 28 Apr 09

If you use either spybot search and destroy with Immunise feature active or spywareblaster, IE8 will slow to a crawl

to prove if this is the cause of your problem you can test by using Undo on the S&D Immunise and remove all protection from spywareblaster

I ended up having to uninstall both and now rely on Superantispyware which so far seems to be adequate

Cheers HC

Woolwell 22:13 28 Apr 09

Are other programs slow too?
Suggest that you check that searchindexer isn't hogging all of your resources (HD activity) as with Vista this can really slow your system down.

Norton used to be heavey user but latest versions are not.

mooly 07:17 29 Apr 09

Have these problems only started since IE8 installed. I use BT BB and desperately tried to make IE8 work satisfactorily with Vista, but gave up, just to many weird issues, although I never checked the speed with it. Worth unplugging your HomeHub for 5 minutes and then letting it reconfigure. You shouldn't have to do anything... just pull the plug, wait, reconnect, and give it 10 minutes or so before trying to use.

oldbeefer2 08:23 29 Apr 09

I too gave up on IE8 but, luckily, it's easy to roll back to IE7.

birdface 08:42 29 Apr 09

Speed check.This is the one that Virgin engineers use.click here is advisable to do a speed scan when you are not running any other programs as this will affect the proper speed outcome.So make sure nothing is running.If you should be getting twice the speed the problem is with your ISP.
[There's not a lot of software downloaded & there's no viruses or spyware.I use Norton Internet Security] Which is Ok for stopping Virus's but you need something extra to stop Spyware.Superantispyware or Malwarebytes [free].How much memory do you have.
Maybe try.Run.Type in cmd.ok.Command prompt will open ,type in ipconfig /flushdns a small space between ipconfig and forward slash or it will not work.Ok. it should tell you dns cache has been flushed if so reboot your computer to see if there is any improvement.
Maybe try a defrag if you have not already done that.

birdface 08:47 29 Apr 09

I should have pointed out that after downloading IE8 some of your add-ons will no longer work as it empties some of the folders,So they may say enabled but are empty and you have to download them again.And under tools maybe click on compatibility view especially on PCA.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…