Internet Explorer 7 not responding

Severn Bore 19:41 28 Feb 08

Hi
For the past month I have experienced IE7 freezing and then flagging "Not Responding" on an increasing number of occasions. I have cleaned and defragged my hard drive and reinstalled IE7, but all to no avail.
Is anyone else having this problem and any ideas for a repair?

heepster 19:51 28 Feb 08

I too had this problem and its very annoying. I deleted it and went back to IE6. Problems solved.I really dont think IE7 is stable at all.

BurrWalnut 19:52 28 Feb 08

Presumably XP?
Here are a few things to try:

Reset IE7 settings, i.e. Internet Options > Advanced Tab and click 'Reset' at the bottom and/or read this click here and click here

Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts click here

Check the Add-ons here click here

katkins 03:29 08 Mar 08

IE is rather unpredictable at time, I'll agree! However, I had this same problem at the end of last year and upon looking up Microsoft's site with another browser, it mentioned add-ons as a possible cause.

In my case, it turned out to be Yahoo toolbar. I've had no problems since.

birdface 09:41 08 Mar 08

You could try Firefox to see if that works Ok.Or probably a Firewall problem.What Firewall do you have .Also turning it off does not always work.

MAJ 09:49 08 Mar 08

Try running IE7 without add-ons. Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (no add-ons). It the problem is still ocurring, try buteman's suggestion of trying Firefox, see if you still get a problem. click here

Severn Bore 14:00 08 Mar 08

Have tried all of the suggestions for sorting IE7, but with no luck. Have now changed to Firefox and problem has disappeared. 1-0 to Mozilla!
Thanks for all responses.

katkins 21:24 08 Mar 08

Great! I find Firefox which I'm on as I type, more versatile than IE with all the various add-ons and personalizing touches you can do to it. I love the great variety of browser skins supplied free of charge.

However, Firefox's download manager doesn't seem to be able to resume a download if you have to interrupt it for any reason.

I would rather include FDM = Free Download Manager which I've been using for a couple of years on IE, but don't seem to be able to configure it for use with the Firefox browser.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Advance thanks.

katkins 00:50 11 Mar 08

I found a way round it myself and now FDM works with Firefox.

Guardianangel 13:15 11 Jan 09

I resolved my problem with this by getting rid of my Google Toolbar.

IE7 connects right away now and runs smoothly.

At first I tried disabling some of the add-ons via step 3 of Burrwalnut's link but that made no difference so then I realised that my problem began when I recently re-installed Google's Toolbar after it mysteriously disappeared.

Severn Bore 14:12 11 Jan 09

Hi Guardianangel.
I am still running ie7 with the Google toolbar on one of my PCs, so will give your suggestion a go. Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…